Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: RobbieV on August 20, 2012, 03:37:25 pm

Title: Halos
Post by: RobbieV on August 20, 2012, 03:37:25 pm
(http://pcdn.500px.net/4930082/344a65208a00054e2c39510b1cb50ba678141da4/4.jpg)

Title: Re: Halos
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 20, 2012, 03:53:23 pm
Very nice!

Perhaps worth trying a square or 8x10 crop? The only thing I would crop for sure is the top 10% (the grass "head" in the upper left corner is a bit distracting).
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: francois on August 21, 2012, 03:32:32 am
Beautiful shot! Cropping the upper 10% like Slobodan suggested would even make it better but the original image is already outstanding. The fence in the background adds some "support".
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 21, 2012, 04:13:40 am
Beautiful shot! Cropping the upper 10% like Slobodan suggested would even make it better but the original image is already outstanding. The fence in the background adds some "support".

It's a lovely image. I endorse the suggestion of a small crop off the top. I'm not sure about the horizontal wires, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: RobbieV on August 21, 2012, 11:35:29 am
Thanks very much. I have the opportunity to make some large prints, and if I can remove the power lines in the background it may be a candidate.
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 21, 2012, 01:49:24 pm
Remove this, remove that... :) I like it the way it is. Life is messy.
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: wolfnowl on August 22, 2012, 07:55:13 pm
Life is messy, but photography doesn't have to be!  Tilt the camera a few degrees and you change the image.  I'd remove the top too.

Mike.
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: shaunw on August 25, 2012, 03:19:49 am
Nice idea, the horizontal lines running across the image are a little distracting for me otherwise very good.
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: luxborealis on August 25, 2012, 08:11:49 am
Life is messy, but photography doesn't have to be!
Mike.

Great quote! So true!
The horizontal lines are a definite distraction unless your goal is to make a social comment on how the actions of people are ruining the view.

On the other hand, I would leave the top in but, compositionally (or through Healing/Cloning), I would remove the one vertical grass stem that almost touches the top border. Then you would have a neat diagonal line of the tops of the grasses with the sun forming the apex of the triangle.
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: Paolo-F on August 25, 2012, 09:34:53 am
Lovely image!

In a big print I would remove the horizontal lines...

Paolo
Title: Re: Halos
Post by: Frank Sirona on August 25, 2012, 10:54:50 am
Great light! One thing that comes to my mind, though: in my opinion the dramatic light calls for a more dynamic composition than bilateral symmetry allows for. Also, while the lower half of your image does a good job in "grounding" your composition, the price for this is that it dilutes what your photo is all about (halos, when judging from your post´s title). Accordingly, you might want to try a more serious crop, such as this: