Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: cjmonty on August 15, 2012, 08:18:44 am

Title: Ultra wide, RAW, Hotshoe & Portable
Post by: cjmonty on August 15, 2012, 08:18:44 am
When photographing real estate listings, I've been using my 5D mark II, 17-35mm, a tripod and a Lumopro 160 (poor-mans speed light, found on strobist.com).
Between long exposure/HDR and bounce flash, I can make most scenes evenly bright, fairly easily.  It's not pretty, but it's better than the usual point-and-shoot treatment that most listings get.  I can't spend a lot of time photographing, and the smaller the kit, the better.
http://www.sothebyshomes.com/nyc/sales/0018413

I would love a rawsumer with flash synch, but they only seem to go 24mm wide equivalent.
I'm looking for a smaller set-up, moderately priced.  The closest I can figure is a late model Micro4/3 body with the Panisonic 8-14mm

Any ideas?
Title: Re: Ultra wide, RAW, Hotshoe & Portable
Post by: Ellis Vener on August 15, 2012, 01:16:42 pm
Canon EOS M? Nex 7?
Title: Re: Ultra wide, RAW, Hotshoe & Portable
Post by: cjmonty on August 15, 2012, 01:42:11 pm
Thanks, the M sounds like the best compromise.
I wish there was a fixed lens compact.  I don't think the NEX system has an ultra-wide zoom yet, and in my experience the 16mm lens is that its pretty poor.
Title: Re: Ultra wide, RAW, Hotshoe & Portable
Post by: Ken Bennett on August 15, 2012, 03:51:53 pm
I think the Panasonic 7-14 would make a good lens for this sort of assignment -- wider even than you are getting now with the 17-35. I would put it on a Panasonic GH2 or G5. The articulating LCD screen makes these cameras a pleasure to use on a tripod, and the EVF/LCD will show you what you're going to get from your exposure ahead of time (in manual mode, anyway.)
Title: Re: Ultra wide, RAW, Hotshoe & Portable
Post by: Fips on August 15, 2012, 03:53:55 pm
Yeah, the 16mm for the NEX probably won't satisfy you, if you are used to your full frame kit. I used to have a NEX and sold it due to the extremely limited choice of decent glass.
A Micro 4/3 and the 8-14 seems like a very good choice. Another option would be the Sigma 8-16 on any smallish APS-C body like a D3200 or this new funky mirrorless from Pentax.