Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Damon Lynch on August 10, 2012, 10:38:58 am

Title: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: Damon Lynch on August 10, 2012, 10:38:58 am
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/7732965666_1f054795bc_c.jpg)

All comments and critiques welcome. I'm trying for a natural look without it looking flat.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: David Jilek on August 10, 2012, 12:17:50 pm
Great shot! I like it the way it is...I would process it a little more, snaking the viewers attention across the bridge through the grass and off to the snow covered mountains.
  That being said it is still a great shot!
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: wolfnowl on August 10, 2012, 06:26:21 pm
Hard to be flat in the middle of those mountains!  ;D

But the red in her clothing does stand out well against the greens and blues...

Mike.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 11, 2012, 02:18:07 am
The gaps in the bridge contribute to the composition. Good one.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: bill t. on August 11, 2012, 03:34:15 am
Great image!  This is how National Geographic wanted pictures to look in the days before it was reaonably possible to do so.  Everything is revealved, tonality and colors are gorgeous.  And it's got red fabric in it, tada!  And it's very engaging.  And it contains some interesting stories and even a hint of danger and suspense.  I like pictures like this a lot.  It's totally successful in every way and a delight to behold.  Not just a good illustration, but artful as well.  If I went to Tajikistan and this was the only good picture I got, I would be happy.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: francois on August 11, 2012, 06:09:58 am
Stunning but very natural. You managed to take it at the "decisive moment".
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: matt11 on August 19, 2012, 02:05:20 pm
I think you have achieved your goal quite well. I like it a lot.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: RobbieV on August 20, 2012, 09:04:29 am
Beautifully balanced and the colours are very revealing. Not too over processed, but not under processed either. Lots of wonderful details to pour over visually. And as others have mentioned, the action occurring continues to spur on the imagination. Nice work.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: Damon Lynch on September 09, 2012, 06:57:55 pm
Thanks very much everyone!  When I come to make a print of it, I might experiment with the sculpting that Jeff S talks about in one of the LL instructional videos. I've never tried that kind of thing before.
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: Rob C on September 10, 2012, 03:39:16 pm
Great image!  This is how National Geographic wanted pictures to look in the days before it was reaonably possible to do so.  Everything is revealved, tonality and colors are gorgeous.  And it's got red fabric in it, tada!  And it's very engaging.  And it contains some interesting stories and even a hint of danger and suspense.  I like pictures like this a lot.  It's totally successful in every way and a delight to behold.  Not just a good illustration, but artful as well.  If I went to Tajikistan and this was the only good picture I got, I would be happy.




¡Qué!


Rob C
Title: Re: Girl and footbridge in Madiyan, Tajikistan
Post by: Tony Jay on September 12, 2012, 08:35:17 am
A winner!
Congratulations.

Regards

Tony Jay