Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: DanielStone on August 09, 2012, 01:59:41 pm

Title: External(extended) battery options for MBP on location
Post by: DanielStone on August 09, 2012, 01:59:41 pm
I'm looking for an extended(and external) battery pack for my MBP(late 2008 model, I know its old, but it works fine for my needs)....

The Hyperjuice 222wh looks like it'd fit the bill fine for my needs, but its really pricey. Any other options out there? I need something that will last a good while, both in terms of durability, and recharge/discharge life cycle count-wise. I don't want to have to replace it every year...

FYI, this will be going into a Pelican 1495 case I'm having some foam cut for, as a location-shootin setup. So smaller-sized units are really what I'm after.

Think "DIY iWorkCase"

thanks

-Dan
Title: Re: External(extended) battery options for MBP on location
Post by: degrub on August 09, 2012, 02:12:36 pm
any battery system that can provide:
DC Output Power
   14.5~18.5V (4.5A max
with the right connector should work. Since theirs is modular, you should be able to find the right cable.
Title: Re: External(extended) battery options for MBP on location
Post by: The View on August 10, 2012, 03:01:02 am
The Paul C. Buff Vagabond mini costs about $250 and should provide plenty of power. And it can also power strobes like the Profoto D1 500 (Not as well as a BatPac, but it can do it).
Title: Re: External(extended) battery options for MBP on location
Post by: Ellis Vener on August 10, 2012, 09:00:25 am
I was also going to suggest the Paul C. Buff Vagabond Mini Lithium. It's an excellent battery for all sorts of location work. I use it for my Paul C. Buff Einstein 640 monolights and other things that need extra power on location. http://paulcbuff.com/vagabond.php


Rob Galbraith has an account of his using it to drive a Mac Book Air for 5 hours in his review at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11314-11226