Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: HSakols on August 08, 2012, 12:26:13 pm

Title: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: HSakols on August 08, 2012, 12:26:13 pm
Hi,
I've just returned from Tuolumne Meadows and now realize that I need more storage.  Right now I am using a 1 TB Cavalry (external) with fire wire as my main drive which includes all my images.  Everything on my Cavalry drive is backed up to two other cheep 1 TB drives using just USB 1. I do not use RAID but backup regularly using SuperDuper.  I am now considering a 3 TB firewire external drive. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398863,00.asp  However before I do this I have some questions. 

Next I will be upgrading my 2007 imac.  Will I wish I had went with Thunderbolt at least on my main drive?

Is Thunderbolt an option on the new Mac Towers

Any other suggestions regarding solid yet budget storage?

Thanks
Hugh
Title: Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: Sareesh Sudhakaran on August 08, 2012, 10:46:13 pm
I'm not a mac user but I'll definitely recommend thunderbolt drives for maximum speed of data transfer. But NOT with adapters - try to get a true thunderbolt drive.

I've always used Western Digital, so something like this should do it: WD MyBook Thunderbolt Duo 4 TB dual-drive storage (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006W3ZWXE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006W3ZWXE&linkCode=as2&tag=sareesh-20)
Title: Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: francois on August 09, 2012, 05:07:52 am
…Is Thunderbolt an option on the new Mac Towers

Any other suggestions regarding solid yet budget storage?

…

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until next year to have Thunderbolt Mac Pros. You might want to visit Mac Performance Guide website (http://macperformanceguide.com), there's valuable info there but remember that the author/owner is sponsored by OWC and recommends their products.
Title: Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: HSakols on August 09, 2012, 11:00:58 am
Thanks for the responses.  I sure wish I could add more than 4 GB of RAM to my imac.  I've been away most of the summer so I still haven't tried working with my new larger files in lightroom 4, but I can imagine that it will be frustrating. 
Title: Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: francois on August 09, 2012, 11:18:50 am
Thanks for the responses.  I sure wish I could add more than 4 GB of RAM to my imac.  I've been away most of the summer so I still haven't tried working with my new larger files in lightroom 4, but I can imagine that it will be frustrating. 

I believe that you can go up to 6GB (not officially) but the additional 2GB won't be a game changer…

OWC offers upgrades, see here (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo).

PS: I'm just a satisfied customer and have no link with OWC.
Title: Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
Post by: alanb on August 09, 2012, 12:22:12 pm
If you are buying a new hard drive check with Marie Summers at Provantage.  I have been dealing with her for over 10 years and the service has been impeccable.  In addition the price tends to be about the lowest available.  Good luck,

Alan