Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: David Watson on August 06, 2012, 04:45:16 pm

Title: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: David Watson on August 06, 2012, 04:45:16 pm
When I ordered my new MPB retina I added the Thunderbolt display.  In ignorance I ran my Spyder 3 profiler without switching off the automatic display adjustment in preferences - ugh!  Anyway I re-ran the profiler with this switched off and I am moderately happy but having read various threads I am now worried that I have made a mistake switching from my EIZO display.  The problem is that at present I can only access things like FW800 by buying this display.  I am now thinking of buying a second (EIZO or NEC) display.

Does anyone else have experience with the Apple Thunderbolt display? Advice and help required.
Title: Re: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: Ellis Vener on August 06, 2012, 05:45:07 pm
A Spyder 4 or an Xrite i1 Display PRO are better colorimeters for white LED backlit displays.
Title: Re: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: The View on August 10, 2012, 03:03:26 am
I took a look at it and decided it wasn't for me.

I'd return it to Apple and stick with Eizo (why did you switch? There is an adapter that can connect all kinds of displays to a retina MBP - costs about $100 at Apple)
Title: Re: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: David Watson on August 10, 2012, 03:48:28 am
It is a bit more complicated than that.  Apple has bundled the Thunderbolt display as a combined display and desk top hub.  So if you want FW800, ethernet etc in a convenient package the TB display seemed the way to go.  What I did not appreciate is that this display is less than ideal for photographers.  My intentions now are to buy a second dispay.
Title: Re: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: MrSmith on August 10, 2012, 04:21:39 am
Isn't the belkin hub now available?
Would give you fw800 and more

http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/ (http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/)
Title: Re: Apple Thunderbolt display
Post by: StuartOnline on August 10, 2012, 09:24:58 am
Isn't the belkin hub now available?
Would give you fw800 and more

http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/ (http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/)

I am looking at this Belkin Thunderbolt Dock also to use with the MacBook Pro Retina. However according to their Website it is not available until September.
But then again that is only a few weeks away. Did signup to be notified whey they are in stock.