Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Etienne Cassar on August 05, 2012, 11:51:34 am

Title: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: Etienne Cassar on August 05, 2012, 11:51:34 am
Is anybody experiencing problems with the softproofing module in Lightroom 4?
When I apply adjustments to any image in the develop module with softproofing enabled, I am not getting a realtime change in the displayed image.  To get the image adjustments to show up I have to switch off and then back on 'simulate paper and ink' or 'softproofing'.  It seems like the displayed image gets frozen when carrying out any adjustments.  
I am using a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 12GB of RAM and an i7 Intel core processor.  Video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series connected to a NEC Spectraview Reference 2690 monitor.  I don't think that my system is to blame for this weird behaviour.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Etienne

PS.:--I just realized that this does not happen when softproofing using the profiles supplied with my printer, but happens when I use profiles generated my myself using Xrite i1profiler.  Photoshop handles these profiles without any problems.  Does this mean that I will have to create a smaller size profile to use when softproofing in Lightroom?  
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: digitaldog on August 05, 2012, 12:00:59 pm
Never seen this, at least on my Mac and I am using i1P profiles. If it is OK, email the profile and I’ll see if I can replicate on this end. FWIW, you do NOT want to be using V4 profiles.
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: Etienne Cassar on August 05, 2012, 03:15:41 pm
I am using version 4 profiles.  I thought that Lightroom can handle these. I will generate a version 2 profile and see if the problem persists.
Thanks.
Etienne
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: Etienne Cassar on August 06, 2012, 08:14:03 am
I have generated version 2 profiles, but problem still persists.  I have also tried to generate medium sized profiles, without any success.  Andrew I will email you all 3 profiles that I have generated for the same media.  One is a Large Version 4 profile, one is a large version 2 profile and the other is a medium version 4 profile.  Can you please check them out to see if there is something wrong with the profiles.  I doubt that the problem lies in the profiles however because it is also happening with a profile that you had generated for me in the past. 

Thanks for your help.

Etienne
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: digitaldog on August 06, 2012, 09:27:23 am
Work fine on this end after running the ColorSync Profile First Aid on them.
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: mdijb on August 06, 2012, 07:25:32 pm
I have noticed this problem also.  When I leave one image and go to another to make comparison, the adjustments i made earlier do not appear when I return to the first image unless i click the soft proofing off or on again--then the previous slider movments return.

How do you run the colorsynch first aid?
MDIJB
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: David Sutton on August 06, 2012, 07:41:11 pm
I get this problem as well with all profiles. I switch a module off and nothing happens. So I turn softproofing off and on again to see the difference. A pain but that's all. It happens particularly with the tone curve module.
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: digitaldog on August 07, 2012, 09:54:35 am
How do you run the colorsynch first aid?

Got Mac?
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: mdijb on August 07, 2012, 08:25:10 pm
yes, I am On A MAC

mdijb
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: digitaldog on August 08, 2012, 09:59:42 am
yes, I am On A MAC

Just run the Profile First Aid which is part of the ColorSync utility.
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: Etienne Cassar on August 08, 2012, 10:53:08 am
Thanks for you help Andrew, but Lightroom is still behaving the same with the profiles after running then through colorsync.  Must be some bug in Lightroom.  I will try and reinstall it and see what happens.  Pity because I was really looking forward for softproofing in Lightroom, and now that it is there I can't use it efficiently.
Etienne
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: mdijb on August 08, 2012, 07:04:23 pm
I ran the profile first aid--lots of errors were found and noe were repairable--what now?

MDIJB
Title: Re: Problems with Softproofing
Post by: digitaldog on August 09, 2012, 09:52:48 am
I ran the profile first aid--lots of errors were found and noe were repairable--what now?

All I can tell you is when I ran Etienne‘s profiles through it, they were fine in LR after.