Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: myc5 on August 01, 2012, 12:13:26 am
-
I have a 3880 and haven't changed carts too often yet. I'm getting low on four of them and have replacements in hand. The yellow warning triangles are showing up on my iMac for low ink, but it still keeps printing ok. When it gets to the "low ink" warning, it still seems to have a lot of life left in it - albeit for 8.5x11's.
When's the best time to change ink, if you want to maximize the cartridge? If I just keep printing, will the printer some day stop me from printing? Does it calculate how much ink it needs for each color and compute if it has enough to do the job? Cancelling the job when not enough ink is noticed? Or does it just print and stop mid way to reload a cart? Or do I loose one print when it runs out?
I haven't run totally dry yet, so I don't know what to expect.
-
In my experience, one great aspect of the 3880 is that you can continue to print despite the blinking low ink warnings, until the printer actually stops mid print. Then just change the cartridge, and it will pick up precisely where it left off. I have never been able to detect the location on the print where the cartridge was replaced.
Bob
-
+1 to Bob's post. I've never had a problem with changing cartridges mid-print (18 times now).
-
In my experience, one great aspect of the 3880 is that you can continue to print despite the blinking low ink warnings, until the printer actually stops mid print. Then just change the cartridge, and it will pick up precisely where it left off. I have never been able to detect the location on the print where the cartridge was replaced.
Same here. Amazing that it picks up and after the print is finished, you can’t tell where this occurred. It shows how amazingly consistent the hardware and inks are in.
-
Likewise. Though I was able to see the transition point when there was maybe 15-20 minutes between the time the cart ran out and I swapped in the new one, usually I'm in the vicinity of the printer and can hear when it stops, that time I got distracted was off somewhere else.
-
Yup, on my 3800 I just print until it stops printing, then swap the cart for a new one. It's like magic...
-
The printer typically gives the warning when it's about 12% left. Gives you enough time to order/pick up a new one and change it when it's empty. This normally goes for majority of the new models as well.
-
Likewise. Though I was able to see the transition point when there was maybe 15-20 minutes between the time the cart ran out and I swapped in the new one, usually I'm in the vicinity of the printer and can hear when it stops, that time I got distracted was off somewhere else.
I once had two days between my 3800 stopping in mid-print and my managing to get a new cartridge. The print is perfect.
Jeremy
-
I own the 3880 and have yet to see any issues with them running out mid-print, using Ilford GFS. i don't know how they did that but it means there's no wasted ink and with the price, that's much appreciated!
Phil