Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on July 31, 2012, 04:18:29 pm

Title: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 31, 2012, 04:18:29 pm
with all this blooming rain. I realize there are places in the world that get far more rain than the 34 straight days of it I'm experiencing, but for my end of the world, this is quite the abnormal weather pattern for us.

Rain Abstract 2

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7686387172_8bd076ce8c_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: shutterpup on July 31, 2012, 06:39:25 pm
Liked your others better. This looks like it could have been made using the mosaic filter in Photoshop.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 31, 2012, 08:02:01 pm
Could have, I supposed, but wasn't.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 01, 2012, 11:06:41 am
Hi Chris, this seems like an ideal time to shoot some veggies or if you have to ( and have one) the cat. I feel your frustration.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 01, 2012, 12:34:44 pm
Cat's dead and my studio space is in a shambles for having to store stuff in here while I do some kitchen remodeling...sun is out today, though it did rain from 3am to 6am. Maybe it will hold long enough to get some shooting in.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: luxborealis on August 04, 2012, 08:12:29 am
Love this photograph and the ideas/stories it creates in my mind.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Justan on August 04, 2012, 11:07:41 am
I came across a very good series and discussion at another forum that follows the idea of focusing the lens on an intermediate object, and using that to permit the background to appear as an abstraction, predicated upon general familiarity with the intermediate and background objects. This is a great and very under used technique.

Well done!
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: jule on August 05, 2012, 05:11:05 am
I actually think this image is quite interesting Chris. I would love to see a whole bunch of these images if you fancied spending a whole rainy afternoon taking images through all the different windows with screens. I think that would be a wonderful exercise.

Julie
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 05, 2012, 06:41:56 am
I actually think this image is quite interesting Chris. I would love to see a whole bunch of these images if you fancied spending a whole rainy afternoon taking images through all the different windows with screens. I think that would be a wonderful exercise.

Julie

I have been doing that and using just glass as an intermediate focusing point. Once I discovered how it could work, I started being more cognizant of what was in the background. I should have a series put together by month's end. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: jule on August 05, 2012, 07:47:17 am
I have been doing that and using just glass as an intermediate focusing point. Once I discovered how it could work, I started being more cognizant of what was in the background. I should have a series put together by month's end. Thanks everyone for your comments.
I look forward to seeing some more images Chris.

Julie
Title: Re: Still a Bit Crazy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 05, 2012, 09:34:17 am
I'd love to see the series when it's ready.