Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: darlingm on July 30, 2012, 10:28:13 pm
-
I see a lot of photographers and some artists who have their work mounted on what looks to be a beveled black tile, but I believe it's actually wood. They're not very thick, but certainly give some depth to the piece. There's an approximate 45 degree bevel from the side that goes to the face where the work is mounted, and this bevel is only like 1/4" or so.
What are these wood tiles called, and where do you purchase them (blank?) I believe the method of using them would be to use something like inkaid and transfer paper, or printing on fine art paper than mounting that to the wood tile.
-
Those are usually prints laminated onto MDF. The bevels are cut on an industrial routing machine and the edges are painted and sealed.
I'm sure somebody will be along any minute with a URL, there are several companies that make them wholesale and retail.
The only useful input I can add is that I recently had a booth neighbor at an art fair who had just stopped using the technique in favor or returning to gallery wraps. The pieces were incredibly heavy. Expensive to ship. But worse than anything else, they had so much weight and inertia that when they were being carried, the tiniest bump on an edge would create a dent that was very difficult to remove. Bumps that wouldn't even affect a gallery wrap could trash a panel mount.
They do look terrific on the wall, no denying that. But I think a Dibond mount is probably just as handsome, and as contemporary aesthetics go, just a little more hip.
-
An alternative is Plywerk (www.plywerk.com). Similar idea although very different look. I've been happy with the ones I did.
Neil
-
Cough, cough...
Anyone with a link to a pre-cut & painted MDF supplier? Found a few in the UK, but haven't had good luck finding them in the US!
Definitely want to look into Dibond and Plywerk, but have a potential customer who does MDF now and wants to stick with it.
-
go to ultraboard.com, request a sample kit. They make an edgebanded mounting board in both 3/4 and 1 1/2" thicknesses that is pretty impressive looking, relatively cost effective, as their order quantities are ~3 per if I remember correctly.
erie