Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: mdijb on July 25, 2012, 05:11:39 pm

Title: Catalogue confusion
Post by: mdijb on July 25, 2012, 05:11:39 pm
I upgraded to lR4.  What I see are Question Marks ??  next to each folder and each image.  I kept the old folder with the Images and Cataolgue in place and apparently continued to load new images into this old folder.

My new Folder for LR4 contains no images or folders with images.

How can I correct this and get all the images into the folder with the  New LR4 Catalogue--this should remove all the ??--Right??

MDIJB

Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: digitaldog on July 25, 2012, 06:23:48 pm
How can I correct this and get all the images into the folder with the  New LR4 Catalogue--this should remove all the ??--Right??

For entire folders, easiest is to alt/option click and select Update Folder Location (navigate to where those folders reside).
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: mdijb on July 25, 2012, 07:31:54 pm
Thanks for the Tip

I would rather move the folders to where my New LR4 catalogue resides--this will make things less confusing--any tips for that??

MDIJB
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: digitaldog on July 25, 2012, 07:49:41 pm
I would rather move the folders to where my New LR4 catalogue resides--this will make things less confusing--any tips for that??

Not really. The catalog can be on drive A, the images on drive B. The key is LR needs to know where the folders reside. IF you move them outside of LR, then it has no idea what you did. You then have to relink them. You do this within LR. Once done, you can move the folders or files anywhere you wish. But do it within LR! It can move, copy, delete documents. If you do this within LR, it ‘knows’ where the files should be.
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: mdijb on July 25, 2012, 11:35:06 pm
I think I made a major error.

I changed the name of the old catalogue to help keep me organized, and now none of the images or folders can be located.
I tried using the "find the folder or image " function and it is working but not consistently.

AM I screwed or is there a way to deal with this??

MDIJB
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: Mac Mahon on July 26, 2012, 06:16:38 am

I changed the name of the old catalogue to help keep me organized, and now none of the images or folders can be located.
I tried using the "find the folder or image " function and it is working but not consistently.

MDIJB

Shouldn't matter.  Did you also change the name of the catalog previews.lrdata file?  The names of the catalog file and the previews file need to be consistent  eg.  XXX ABCDE Catalog.lrcat  and XXX ABCDE Catalog Previews.lrdata  and in the same location.

After that if you double click a ??-marked thumbnail you'll get the option to do what Andrew said:  'Update folder location'.  Doesn't matter what it is called or where it is, just navigate to it and the catalog should relink to the image files.

Tim
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: mdijb on July 26, 2012, 06:35:17 pm
Thanks for the help.  Your suggestion worked most of the time.  The hard thing was to find where some of the folders were so Linking couild happen.  I misplaced some of the files but after finding the, things improved.  After relinking I moved the folders to the new LR4 catalogue and now I am organized.

MDIJB
Title: Re: Catalogue confusion
Post by: stamper on July 27, 2012, 04:52:12 am
Updating your catalogues can cause other problems such as the difference between process 2010 and 2012. You don't actually need to do this. I kept version 3.6 and didn't update. Stated new catalogues with version 4. Did you back up your original catalogues before updating?