Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dlavay on July 23, 2012, 08:26:08 pm

Title: Diglloyd
Post by: dlavay on July 23, 2012, 08:26:08 pm
Any opinions on LLoyd Chambers and his website?
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: dgberg on July 23, 2012, 08:35:18 pm
Excellent content but expensive.
If it was only $50 a year for all content I might be interested.
$50 per subject is a little rich for my blood.
The bundles are a little cheaper.
May be a good plan for the the beginner/advanced enthusiast buying a lot of gear.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: Ligament on July 23, 2012, 10:30:23 pm
I am a happy customer. I think the cost is 30% too high, but thats what he can command so I pay it. He does really good reviews and tests.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: kers on July 24, 2012, 07:02:44 am
His mac performance guide is free.

http://macperformanceguide.com/

There you can get a good idea of the quality of his work.

I like his work ; he digs deeper than the other sites and his information is very accurate and in line with my own findings.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: JohnBrew on July 24, 2012, 08:12:11 am
I subscribe. He goes into more depth than most other testers. OTOH, he's one of those pixel-peepers so be prepared. He reviews gear I either have or have interest in acquiring, but, based on his testing, I don't always come to the same conclusion he does. The worst problem which comes through in a large percentage of his testing is that he has focus issues with the gear. I use much of the same equipment he does and I don't have the problems he has. YMMV.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: stever on July 24, 2012, 10:12:47 am
i've found the basic subscription worth the price.  if you're seriously interested in Leica or Zeiss then they are also.  i found the one year of Making Sharper Images that came with my basic subscription was worthwhile - for a year, and probably worth paying for - for a year.

Lloyd is very much a landscape perfectionist - a worthwhile point of view, to be considered along with other points of view.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: DaveCurtis on July 25, 2012, 03:45:19 am
I have also found his reviews very useful and probably agree with most of what he states. He has plenty of 1:1 comparisons.

I subscribed to get info regarding Zeiss lenses for my 1DS3 as I was unimpressed with Canons offerings at the time. (This was pre 17mm and 24mm TSE II).

In the end he has info that isn't present elsewhere on the web but the downside is it's not cheap.

if you are about to fork out several K for a lens or body that he has reviewed I would recomend a subscription.
Title: Re: Diglloyd
Post by: ErikKaffehr on July 25, 2012, 03:55:39 am
Hi,

Regarding the focusing issues, he is often shooting wide open.

It seems that other photographers also mentoned focusing issues and equipment tolerances as factors. Joseph Holmes had an article where he essentially said that about 80% of the MF equipment he has seen had some issues. Erwin Puts, the famous Leica expert also discusses focusing and tolerance issues.
Best regards
Erik


I subscribe. He goes into more depth than most other testers. OTOH, he's one of those pixel-peepers so be prepared. He reviews gear I either have or have interest in acquiring, but, based on his testing, I don't always come to the same conclusion he does. The worst problem which comes through in a large percentage of his testing is that he has focus issues with the gear. I use much of the same equipment he does and I don't have the problems he has. YMMV.