Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: markadams99 on July 21, 2012, 08:54:35 am

Title: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: markadams99 on July 21, 2012, 08:54:35 am
For years I used iDisk's public folder to upload images to get links for image display in forums like this, also in certain blog posts. Since Apple shutdown iDisk those links are useless. I didn't think that Apple would just trash the work that users invested while relying on iDisk. The effort involved systematically to fix these links by storing images elsewhere and inserting new links isn't practicable.

Apple gave plenty of warning of this, but I suppose I presumed they would simply move iDisk to iCloud and preserve the links. Nope.
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 21, 2012, 09:07:04 am
Apple made it pretty clear that that wasn't going to happen. You can feel unhappy at the loss of iDisk but you have no real cause to have lost "trust".

Jeremy
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: markadams99 on July 21, 2012, 09:22:08 am
Apple made it pretty clear that that wasn't going to happen. You can feel unhappy at the loss of iDisk but you have no real cause to have lost "trust".

Jeremy
How come? The investment in time, effort and dotmac fees was long made when Apple decided to close iDisk.
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 21, 2012, 11:07:07 am
Not to mention that a move to iCloud is only possible if one upgrades the operating system, which I am reluctant to do, given that it does not support several programs I use.
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 21, 2012, 01:13:31 pm
How come? The investment in time, effort and dotmac fees was long made when Apple decided to close iDisk.

I don't recall Apple's ever undertaking to keep iDisk running indefinitely. The fees were a subscription, which bought a year's service.

Things change; it's a fact of life. We have to plan for it. iDisk had numerous deficiencies, of which appalling speed was but one; maybe whatever replaces it will be better.

Try Dropbox, or a paid service. There's no shortage of them, but none is likely to be permanent.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 21, 2012, 01:15:24 pm
Not to mention that a move to iCloud is only possible if one upgrades the operating system, which I am reluctant to do, given that it does not support several programs I use.

Yes, I've delayed my upgrade to Lion while I rewrote a database, on which I'm dependent, because it needed Rosetta. Once I'd done that, though, the move was completely painless.

What applications do you use which won't run under Lion? I'm curious.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: markadams99 on July 21, 2012, 01:28:25 pm
I don't recall Apple's ever undertaking to keep iDisk running indefinitely. The fees were a subscription, which bought a year's service.

Things change; it's a fact of life. We have to plan for it. iDisk had numerous deficiencies, of which appalling speed was but one; maybe whatever replaces it will be better.

Try Dropbox, or a paid service. There's no shortage of them, but none is likely to be permanent.

Jeremy
It's not a question of iDisk running indefinitely, it's a question of storing iDisk files in iCloud instead of trashing them and re-directing the iDisk links to them - trivial stuff for Apple. Apple explicitly advertised the use of iDisk for storing files to be linked by web-sites.
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 21, 2012, 02:01:43 pm
... What applications do you use which won't run under Lion? I'm curious.

- MonacoEZcolor
- Monaco OPTIX 2.0
Title: Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
Post by: Rob C on July 23, 2012, 05:10:12 am
Have you looked at the title of this thread through half-close eyes? Very worrying for any virile yong man with a hernia.

Rob C