Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: SG on July 20, 2012, 06:44:38 pm
-
Hi,
So I have this weird problem. When I print a photo that has a somewhat orange tint on a wet pavement - it comes out all purple.
When I made the first print - it was perfect, but that's when my magenta ink ran out. I don't know if it can have any connection with a new magenta cartridge, but after i tried printing the same image - the orange area was purple. Tried it again - same issue. Same settings as when it came out alright.
Using an Ilford icc profile for the very paper type. Does it matter if i choose relative colormetric (which is the current setting) or perceptual?
What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you.
-
OK it looks as if we will have to try to solve this with first principles.
Firstly, it would not be rendering intent: neither perceptual nor relative colorimetric rendering will change an out of gamut orange hue to purple.
Now, several questions:
How are you calibrating your monitor?
The original print that apparently looked good - did it match your monitor (within the limits of monitor versus paper)?
Do the rest of the subsequent prints look the same as the original good print apart from the wierd purple areas?
Was the magenta cartridge working when the original print was made (it isn't clear from your post)?
Is there any chance that double colour management is happening?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Just sent you a private message, Tony.
-
Just sent you a private message, Tony.
Thanks for that.
BTW, I forgot to mention the double colour management issue.
All that is required is to confirm that colour management is set to off in the printer driver dialogue box.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
I don't see an option of turning "Color Management" off in the printer settings.
Here's how the color management tab looks (first 3 images) and then the settings in Photoshop, maybe that'll be helpful. I'm still frustrated.
-
two more
-
4.jpg shows the information - right above the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.
In colour handling you have "printer manages colors" - this needs to be turned off since you want Ps or Lr to manage color.
Current settings demonstrate double colour management!
Regards
Tony Jay
-
4.jpg shows the information - right above the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.
In colour handling you have "printer manages colors" - this needs to be turned off since you want Ps or Lr to manage color.
Current settings demonstrate double colour management!
Regards
Tony Jay
Tony, the problem is there's no 'off' option, it's either Printer, Photoshop or Saturation that can be selected in that tab.
-
"Photoshop manages color" option is the one you want.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
"Photoshop manages color" option is the one you want.
Regards
Tony Jay
Tried it, no luck. Doesn't look it's any difference at all between these 2 management settings.
-
I would use this issue to review colour management and your entire workflow.
My advice now is to acquire the tutorial series "Camera to Print and Screen" available on this website.
It is very likely that you will find lots of areas that need attention.
I don't know whether this will fix the specific problem noted in your initial post but a good primer on workflow and colour managment will not go amiss.
BTW: try printing another image with similar hues to see whether the same problem recurs. It may help you to pinpoint where the real problem is.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Problem solved.
Unticked the "High Speed" box in Advanced settings, that I might have checked accidentally at some point and all the colors are back to normal.
-
Problem solved...
Congratulations
Regards
Tony Jay