Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: darlingm on July 18, 2012, 06:22:03 pm

Title: Epson 9900 - Speed of USB vs Ethernet
Post by: darlingm on July 18, 2012, 06:22:03 pm
The Epson 9900 has USB 2.0 High Speed and 10/100 Ethernet.  I've been using the Ethernet connection.

Has anyone benchmarked if there's a real world speed increase by using USB?

USB 2.0 High Speed's theoretical max throughput is 480mb/s vs 100 Ethernet's 100mb/s.

However, the printer of course starts printing once it receives something, before the file transmission is completed.  So, I'm not sure if there would be a noticeable difference.

I often print large files like 30x40 @ 720dpi, 20x30 @ 1440dpi, etc.

I'd just try it, but I'd need a 16' USB cable which I don't have... Not that expensive mail order of course, but don't want to bother if it won't really matter.
Title: Re: Epson 9900 - Speed of USB vs Ethernet
Post by: Farmer on July 18, 2012, 07:18:59 pm
There's no difference.  The printer can't print fast enough for it to matter.
Title: Re: Epson 9900 - Speed of USB vs Ethernet
Post by: darlingm on July 18, 2012, 10:07:17 pm
Once it gets started printing, there definitely won't be a difference.  Could there be a difference in the delay before it starts printing, though?
Title: Re: Epson 9900 - Speed of USB vs Ethernet
Post by: lfeagan on July 18, 2012, 11:04:00 pm
This is an interesting question. I do suspect there will be some difference, but given the gyrations my machine goes through before even beginning to move the head for the print job, in the end I doubt you would find a notably different result.
Title: Re: Epson 9900 - Speed of USB vs Ethernet
Post by: Farmer on July 19, 2012, 12:19:40 am
No difference to start speed.