Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Derryck on July 17, 2012, 11:11:08 pm
-
After watching a few Youtube videos a few friends and I thought we'd give this a try. Basically you stuff steel wool into the end of a whisk then light it. Molten sparks come out and with long exposures you can produce some interesting results.
All was going well up until the moment a large blob of molten steel skipped across the ground and into a very small opening of my camera bag. My bag started to glow and very quickly flames were coming out. I had to fight off my mates instincts which were to upend the bag and shake the steel out, when I still had three lenses inside.
All images were shot in the art district of Shanghai.
Derryck.
-
All of these are fun images but I especially like the last one. It is probably a language thing, but what do you mean by a "whisk?" I'd like to try some of this just for S's and giggles.
-
This video will provide you with all the answers ;) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkBLMhXvcQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkBLMhXvcQ)
-
The last one is on fire!
i mean that in the best possible way.
Great capture.
-
cookware whisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisk
-
Already been through the utensil drawer and found one. Will give it a whirl this evening, pun intended.
-
Already been through the utensil drawer and found one. Will give it a whirl this evening, pun intended.
Keep a fire extinguisher handy and leave the camera bag in another room.
-
Also if you value your hair wear a hat.
For best results you always rely on Rhino Wool. Although it may not be available in your part of the world.
-
awesome
just did this with sparklers a couple weeks back, love burning my clients ;)
-
I was playing around in the studio on Friday night with my new RX100 and some steel wool. Here's a little film https://vimeo.com/46131272 (https://vimeo.com/46131272)