Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: bcroslin on July 16, 2012, 10:27:34 pm

Title: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: bcroslin on July 16, 2012, 10:27:34 pm
I just bought an Epson 3880 (this forum was huge in my research - thanks) and now I'm looking into papers for printing portfolios for client meetings. I'm looking for a paper that looks great but isn't necessarily archival as I'll be switching pages out from time to time. I'm looking for something in a lustre finish that will look good under a plastic page but I'm open to whatever is out there that people are using. I'd also love to hear if anyone has any recommendations for double-side papers that can be scored for a screw-post book.

TIA

Bob
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: neile on July 17, 2012, 01:00:51 am
There are a ton of options given the basic parameter of "lustre that looks good". Any of the Moab glossy papers would work. Red River papers would probably be fine too. I'd buy a sample pack of each and see what tickles your fancy.

I'll add that since the paper is relatively cheap, why hide your lovely prints under plastic? Use a folio cover (or one of the other options in Andy's nice summary video (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/portfolios_for_photographers.shtml)) and let your potential clients actually touch your work. If a page gets a little beat up just reprint it.

Neil
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: aaronchan on July 17, 2012, 06:03:30 am
Maybe Epson Professional Luster would do the right job for you with their generic ICC profile.

aaron
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: bcroslin on July 17, 2012, 10:10:58 am
Neil - I'm definitely looking for options for screw post portfolios but in my world the pages have to be printed double-sided. I'm coming back to inkjet printing after throwing in the towel several years ago due to the amount of frustration I found trying to print portfolios. I have a few different portfolios I'm trying to fill - one with plastic pages and a few screw posts. Just wondering if there's anything new I should be looking at.
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: Ed Foster, Jr. on July 17, 2012, 11:41:48 am
Bob,
One of the double-sided papers for portfolio printing that I like is Ilford's Smooth Lustre Duo.  I use it with a hard cover Unibind product and it works and shows quite well.

Ed
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: bcroslin on July 18, 2012, 11:18:57 am
I'll check that out Ed - thanks
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: Nigel Johnson on July 18, 2012, 06:16:34 pm
One of the double-sided papers for portfolio printing that I like is Ilford's Smooth Lustre Duo.

Ilford have recently renamed their papers; the new name for 'Smooth Lustre Duo' is 'Galerie Premium Lustre Duo'.

Regards, Nigel
Title: Re: Paper for printing portfolios - options?
Post by: Robcat on July 18, 2012, 10:40:38 pm
Ilford have recently renamed their papers; the new name for 'Smooth Lustre Duo' is 'Galerie Premium Lustre Duo'.

Regards, Nigel
I've done several using the (now apparently renamed) Smooth Lustre Duo and have been very pleased. Good color, nice finish and feel. I actually don't put them in plastic (the look of which I despise). Instead I use these clear plastic sticky tabs (whose trade name escapes me) with pre-punched holes for your screw post binder. Obviously the paper doesn't stand up to manhandling but one portfolio sitting next to me right now is over a year old and still looks great. Plus you said you were likely to change them out a lot anyway.
Rob P