Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Ken Bennett on July 12, 2012, 09:51:50 am

Title: Less expensive monitors for web use
Post by: Ken Bennett on July 12, 2012, 09:51:50 am
Greetings,

I have a question from our IT support guy, who needs to buy external monitors for several people on our team. Mostly these people are web developers, so they'll be working in sRGB and don't need a wide-gamut monitor.

He doesn't want to spend $1000 on the Apple LCD panels (and with good reason -- sheesh that's expensive.) He doesn't want to spend $1200 on the NEC Multisync, which is what I use, and in truth the web folks don't need that anyway.

Can anyone recommend a decent ~27 inch monitor in the sub-$500 range that can be calibrated to sRGB and works well?

Thanks!

Ken Bennett
Title: Re: Less expensive monitors for web use
Post by: digitaldog on July 12, 2012, 09:57:58 am
How’s $549 with calibrator:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=612998&q=1&Q=add&is=REG&A=cart

NEC MultiSync P221W-BK 22" A tad smaller but well worth that due to the calibration capabilities. Probably less expensive without the calibrator if you own one.
Title: Re: Less expensive monitors for web use
Post by: Ken Bennett on July 12, 2012, 10:30:44 am
Awesome, thanks.

I see the new version of the monitor I use (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689880-REG/NEC_PA271W_BK_SV_MultiSync_PA271W_BK_SV_27_Widescreen.html) is up to $1650 at B&H. Ouch.
Title: Re: Less expensive monitors for web use
Post by: Justan on July 14, 2012, 09:36:01 am
Also check out the LG brand. They are inexpensive, can be color calibrated, and has as good of longevity as anything out there. I’ve got several in place used as a variety of CAD workstations.

But on the topic, there are lots of good monitors available at this point, few of which fall in the category of being expensive.