Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 10, 2012, 01:00:34 pm

Title: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 10, 2012, 01:00:34 pm
He was 88. I took this picture two years ago, the last time I saw him alive.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 10, 2012, 01:13:15 pm
It's a nice portrait of a very distinguished looking gent. I think family portraits are under-appreciated. Portraits of famous people are all well & good, or those of poor people from developing countries, or the down-and-outs as social commentary. But family portraits don't get the same recognition. He was your father, not some famous politician or movie star, so the establishment don't care, the general public aren't interested, and it won't get in a gallery or Sunday newspaper supplement/glossy mag.

Well I like family portraits. Even when they're not my family. They're still portraits, often all the better for the fact that someone who knew them & loved them took it. I think sometimes there's a quality there that you don't see in shots of the famous.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: RSL on July 10, 2012, 03:55:51 pm
Beautiful shot, Slobodan. He looks like somebody I'd have enjoyed knowing.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: ErikKaffehr on July 10, 2012, 04:46:19 pm
Hi,

A great picture, I like it a lot.

Best regards
Erik
He was 88. I took this picture two years ago, the last time I saw him.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Tony Jay on July 10, 2012, 04:48:01 pm
Slobodan, a great picture and a wonderful memory.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 10, 2012, 06:27:56 pm
Thanks all.

Bill, you are absolutely right about family portraits. Most photographers I know prefer being behind camera, not in front. I also dread those obligatory family photos, both taking them and being in them. I almost did not take this one too. Little did I know that would be the last time I see him alive (he passed away today). Russ in another thread mentioned the importance of taking pictures of our children often... I would say the same goes for our parents... you never know which one will be the last.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 10, 2012, 07:59:40 pm
I'm with Bill on family portraits, and I agree that this one is a fine one.

I do regret that I didn't photograph my father shortly before he died at age 90. But I do try to get new photos of my mother every now and then, at age 100 and still active.

Thanks for sharing this one with us, Slobodan.

Eric
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Justan on July 10, 2012, 08:01:22 pm
Sorry for your loss. Losing a dad is very sad and challenging on a number of levels.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Bryan Conner on July 11, 2012, 01:08:45 am
Sorry for your loss.  Try to celebrate his life in your memories.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: wolfnowl on July 11, 2012, 02:35:35 am
Beautiful portrait.  I know he's proud of his son...

Mike.
Title: Re: In Memory of My Father
Post by: Sheldon N on July 11, 2012, 11:06:50 am
I'm sorry to hear that Slobodan, my condolences. That's a great portrait to remember him by.