Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Geraldo Garcia on July 08, 2012, 10:52:51 pm

Title: Scanner advice
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on July 08, 2012, 10:52:51 pm
Hello friends,

I am considering the purchase of a scanner for various type of films and also for reflective media. The general consensus seems to be Epson Perfection V750M Pro scanner, but I realized it was released on 2006 and is a bit "outdated". Does anyone have a better alternative on that price range or know if something like that will be released soon? As we are couple of months away from Photokina and I am not in a desperate need, may be it would be better to wait a bit more.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: Rhossydd on July 09, 2012, 02:01:57 am
The market for flatbed scanning has been decreasing for years, so don't expect any major new models any time soon (if ever ?).
The V750 has a very good reputation as being the best currently available , so just buy one when you need to start scanning.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: PeterAit on July 09, 2012, 09:08:34 am
The market for flatbed scanning has been decreasing for years, so don't expect any major new models any time soon (if ever ?).
The V750 has a very good reputation as being the best currently available , so just buy one when you need to start scanning.

Agreed. The 750 is excellent for film and reflective, and I am not sure what "new" features you expect in a "more modern" scanner.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: John Nollendorfs on July 09, 2012, 11:03:59 am
Unless you specifically need the liquid mounting, you can save yourself a couple of hundred dollars with buying just the V700. If you decide later you need the liquid mounting, there are "better" third party options available.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on July 09, 2012, 11:44:53 am
Thanks.
I am sure it is an excellent scanner, I just dont want to buy something right before it gets discontinued and replaced... But I guess we will never know before it happens.
The V700 seems excellent also, but the fluid monting is something I want to try.

Thanks again.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: mediumcool on July 16, 2012, 04:16:08 am
Even though it has it as part of its name, the Epson is not a *pro* scanner. I have successfully scanned 4" x 5" for prepress output on consumer scanners, but would want to use a dedicated film scanner for smaller formats.

If 120 and 35mm are your priorities for film scanning, I suggest finding a *proper* scanner, such as an older Minolta, Nikon or Polaroid. Much better results, even from something like a SprintScan 2700 (first film scanner i ever bought—one of the first in Australia), available on eBay for a song.
Title: Re: Scanner advice
Post by: Isaac on July 16, 2012, 10:57:42 am
Film scanner test-reports: complete overview of all the models (http://www.filmscanner.info/en/FilmscannerTestberichte.html)