Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: idenford on July 08, 2012, 08:54:03 pm
-
Ahhhh, 8 gigs of ram...should I upgrade to 16 or 32..really challenged here... 4 drive bays with a terra byte each...new NEC spectravision monitor, I really don't want to spend 3 grand on upgrading....would even consider switching to PC but seems too complicated to update licenses for the software... Any auggestions? Running Lightroom 4 and cs5 plus a couple of Nik software plug ins...
-
would even consider switching to PC but seems too complicated to update licenses for the software
A lot of newer Adobe software has cross-platform licence numbers now. Changing OS really isn't an issue either way, excepting if you use something that only runs on one platform.
-
I am confused. Do you already own a NEC SpectraView? My MBP 2010 has 8GB of RAM and other than stitched panos, the RAM isn't a performance factor. I also have a very fast SSD drive. Importing/processing many large files from a D800 simply requires a lot of CPU horsepower. If you are importing to a dedicated drive or RAID array, disk performance shouldn't be an issue as you are only writing around 40MB/photo sequentially.
What specifically is slow? More specific input and less rant will net you more useful feedback.