Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: randal21 on July 06, 2012, 08:09:31 pm
-
Over the last few years I have found as I roll out the last 10 feet or so to see if I have enough canvas left to print a larger image that ... I have noticed a whiter type strip mark every 9" or so. I have photographed it for Epson techs and have been instructed to send in the canvas with the issues. I use the Exhibition Canvas Matte and it used to happen with their previous matte canvas. One Epson tech said they did have issues with it but now they are amazed I called and act like I am the only one. I told them their company seems to be great at skirting technical problems at times but I have told them before. Anyway, anyone else have the canvas issues?
-
Are you able to post pictures?
I've seen "runs" in the gesso used, but that doesn't sound like what's going on here.
-
Will grab a shot alittle later.
-
Here is a shot with my little marks to show Epson last year. If it isn't clear enough to distinguish the light lines I will reshoot.
-
Just looks like the seam lap marks left at the end of pretty much all canvas rolls.
Breathing Color in the past year has started to cover the hard roll with a soft type foam which has helped a lot.
-
Ditto to Dan's comments.
The BC padded roll, which I believe now comes on all of their canvas allows you to get very close to the end of the roll without the pressure marks. No other canvas I know of has this and the solution is rather simple.
Note if you are mounting to gator or another substrate, you can print right over the pressure marks, they will not show up once the print is flush mounted.
Note Breathing Color's 800M canvas would be a similar canvas to the Epson matte Canvas.
Paul
-
I wasn't quite sure what you were describing until you posted the photos. Dan and Paul are right---it's pressure marks from the canvas being wound tightly on the roll. BC's foam padding on the 3" core really addresses this issue well. Kudos to Breathing Color: it's in the details! :)
ken
-
Thanks for your feedback. So when I buy 40' of their Epson canvas I am rolling the dice on having 32' of usable canvas?! I will try Breathing Colors canvas and bet I will be much happier!
-
The other method is a parallel wound core where the last carton winding leaves an indent to fit the edge of the rolled up medium in. Can not recall which manufacturer had that solution. The spiral wound cores do not have that.
--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more
-
Another great replacement for Epson Canvas is PremierArt Generations Canvas. Really similar to Epson, a little thinner but customers that I've had with the issues through Epson's Canvas, I recommend PremierArt and no one has called back to return it that I'm aware of yet.
It basically works the same way as far as water resistant, stretchable, and quality.
On our site, if you put your cursor over "Shop by Brand", the drop down menu will show. Click on Fredrix Print Canvas and it will show all available sizes.
We also have a few other canvas's that could work like Fredrix WR or VWR.
Many customers liked the Premium Canvas line, and then Epson went to the Exhibition Canvas, many customers were really upset with it. We think it's a great line, but the Satin and Gloss version have small issues with roll-on (liquid laminate).
Chris W
800-327-2822