Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on July 02, 2012, 12:11:31 pm

Title: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: churly on July 02, 2012, 12:11:31 pm
Early morning light on part of the Absaroka volcanics in NW Wyoming near the east entrance of Yellowstone NP.

(http://churly.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v46/p120289700-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 02, 2012, 12:19:50 pm
Oh, my! This is like from a different planet! I bet it would look gorgeous in b&w too.
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: langier on July 02, 2012, 01:44:26 pm
+1!
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: Mjollnir on July 02, 2012, 02:01:43 pm
Always good to see shots of places I didn't know existed.  Thanks for that.

Nice subtle color/tone changes.
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: luxborealis on July 02, 2012, 03:14:20 pm
Great tones, great light, but I feel the image doesn't "go" anywhere, it's just "there". I guess I'm looking for movement into and around the photograph, something to drawn me in and explore.
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: churly on July 02, 2012, 04:42:21 pm
I understand what you mean Terry.  I am a kind of addicted to near-far shooting so I was trying to do something a bit different.
Here is another from the same area, a bit later but with more context and possibly a little more dynamic.

(http://churly.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v53/p420609108-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: luxborealis on July 02, 2012, 10:42:14 pm
Now we're getting somewhere. What a fantastic location - what character!

To me, the focal point is that amazing volcanic plug. by cropping out the first two foreground "hummocks" (which are bright and pull the eye down) a better dynamic is created around the volcanic plug.

Any thought to toning down the blueness of the shadows. The great distance and influenced their colour.

Also, making the background rock (behind the plug) not only less blue, but darker as well, will emphasize the rim lighting along the top of the anticline (downward curving mountain) and the plug itself.

It's a great image with significant potential (even in B&W).
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: shaunw on July 03, 2012, 01:33:58 pm
Second one for me....nice shot
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 03, 2012, 02:01:51 pm
It's a great image with significant potential (even in B&W).

"even"?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Absaroka Vocanic Field
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 03, 2012, 03:29:56 pm
Second one for me....nice shot
Me too. This one really invites us in to look around.
Scott