Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mcthecat on June 29, 2012, 06:37:05 am
-
I like storms, luckily we get a lot in northern England, particularily in the winter. The first is of a place called Marsdon Rock, its a big lump sticking out in the sea. Im stood in two feet of freezing water as the tide comes in and the snow storm passes over. The second is a massive brooding storm over Dunstanburgh Castle. I could lighten the castle but i may not as i like the dark storm effect. The third is a snowstorm casting shadows on the moors near Alston Moor in northern England,had to drive through some big snow drifts to get it. The last another snow storm whipping up the sea and making it very milky. I love storms but one day soon i fear ill be washed out to sea. A few months back i stood on a rock in the sea in a gale with hugh waves, tide coming in around me just to get a nice picture.
Mick
-
Great pictures all.
I do enjoy your posts Mick and these images just make me drool.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
I find the third one very odd. I think I see what you're doing there, and it's not a bad idea, I'm just not sure that it's a successful one. I like the mirroring of beach and water in it, but I find the perspective so unsettling that this goodness is largely negated.
-
I find the third one very odd... I like the mirroring of beach and water in it, but I find the perspective so unsettling that this goodness is largely negated...
You've lost me here - he's shooting a snowstorm on the moors.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
You've lost me here - he's shooting a snowstorm on the moors.
…
Me too. I thought that I needed some sleep!
Mick, thanks for sharing this set of fantastic photos…
-
Oh! I should have read ALL the text, eh?
Well, now I can't see the hill on the left as anything but waves anyways, even though it's not. So, it's too late.
-
The third is my favorite of the (nice) four. Yes, it's a bit unsettling, but for me that emphasizes the fury of the storm. Good work!
-
The third is my favorite of the (nice) four. Yes, it's a bit unsettling, but for me that emphasizes the fury of the storm. Good work!
+1
-
Very nice, Mick. All of 'em.
-
Very nice, Mick. All of 'em.
ditto.
-
Thanks everyone. It never stops amazing me what we will go through for that shot we are after. I must admit it was getting a bit serious for a while. My family and friends dont understand but thankfully photographers do. I guess sitting alone on a remote sea shore watching the sun come up sounds weird to my friends but its the worlds best stress relief.
Mick
-
Thanks everyone. It never stops amazing me what we will go through for that shot we are after. I must admit it was getting a bit serious for a while. My family and friends dont understand but thankfully photographers do. I guess sitting alone on a remote sea shore watching the sun come up sounds weird to my friends but its the worlds best stress relief...
I am with you, Mick.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Thanks everyone. It never stops amazing me what we will go through for that shot we are after. I must admit it was getting a bit serious for a while. My family and friends dont understand but thankfully photographers do. I guess sitting alone on a remote sea shore watching the sun come up sounds weird to my friends but its the worlds best stress relief.
Mick
I am realising as the years roll by, that the 'fix' of being outdoors in remote areas is actually greater than the possibility of getting that image that I am after. .... yeh... perhaps my images suck... LOL... no - I know some of my images are really beautiful and quite powerful.. and generally they are just the starting point for my artwork anyway... and I use my images and draw from that 'fix' to create artworks, sculptures, artist books and 3D works.
Yep.. for me it is the yearning to be in those spaces rather than the yearning for that 'image'.
Julie
-
Thanks everyone. It never stops amazing me what we will go through for that shot we are after. I must admit it was getting a bit serious for a while. My family and friends dont understand but thankfully photographers do. I guess sitting alone on a remote sea shore watching the sun come up sounds weird to my friends but its the worlds best stress relief.
Mick
Great work Mick, beautiful scenes with lots of drama, you have really captured the essence of nature's elements at work - Bravo!
Yes only the dedicated or should I say obsessed photographer knows and understands why you and we do this in all conditions come what may. Recently I drove to the exact same spot at the same time of day for 10 days straight, in wind, rain, sunshine, biting insects and everything else that mother nature could throw at me, just to get a single shot. My good wife soon got tired of coming with me and left me to it. But then after I had returned for the tenth time, she asked me if I thought I had 'got it' this time? I said I wasn't sure, but that I thought I might have. She then asked me, well if you have got the shot you were after, does that mean you will never need to go there again?
You really don't understand do you? Came the reply.
Dave
-
Exactly!
I don't think she does. But that's okay too.
Mike.
P.S. Nice work, Mick!!
-
Hi Mick
Great images, ( I like No 3 ).
Great image of Marsden Rock but it's a pity you hadn't got there a couple of decades earlier when it still had its' arch - it really was dramatic then. It collapsed in the 1990's.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Marsden+Rock&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q1zvT6mcI-Gm0QWSo4DzDQ&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1333&bih=948
Graeme
-
When I was a kid, I used to swim and play around the rock in summer when the arch was still up, that's before health and safety blew it up. Back then I can remember the delights of human waste floating past. Nice. Still get there of and on.
Mick