Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on June 27, 2012, 03:15:30 pm

Title: Fire Sunset
Post by: RSL on June 27, 2012, 03:15:30 pm
-
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: wolfnowl on June 27, 2012, 10:26:07 pm
The smoke really brings out the colours!  Have a few of those from my Kelowna days...

Mike.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 27, 2012, 11:26:46 pm
That one is really neat.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: amolitor on June 28, 2012, 07:59:26 am
Interesting abstract. It's definitely neat, and I think it's good.

The only part I go back and forth on is the blown out highlights. On the one hand, they're distracting as hell, and on the other hand you're supposed to be looking there so maybe that's ok and anyways it's a great way to convey the eerie sense of heat and otherworldliness that comes with fires. If it were mine, I would experiment with pushing more detail in there to see what happens.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: RSL on June 28, 2012, 03:15:28 pm
I thought about it, Andrew, but the sun is completely blown. I could reduce the brightness with a careful clone job, but I've decided I like it just as it is. That fire in the sky is an important part of the picture. The sun looks angry, and that's exactly the way it struck me.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: popnfresh on June 28, 2012, 03:48:18 pm
I thought about it, Andrew, but the sun is completely blown. I could reduce the brightness with a careful clone job, but I've decided I like it just as it is. That fire in the sky is an important part of the picture. The sun looks angry, and that's exactly the way it struck me.

I think you can forget about pulling detail out of the sun LOL. That would take a 30-stop exposure latitude, at least.

But that's OK, because it's a nice shot just the way it is.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: RSL on June 28, 2012, 04:28:38 pm
Well, I was LOL too, Pop, but I didn't want to sound insulting.
Title: Re: Fire Sunset
Post by: amolitor on June 28, 2012, 04:39:00 pm
Now pish, boys.

There was obviously more detail to be had in the transition from cloud to sun. Whether it was lost in camera or in post I cannot say, but it was there.

That said, I cannot disagree with the decision to present it as is. It definitely sets the mood.