Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: PatrickAllen on June 27, 2012, 11:35:43 am
-
We previously used Eric Chan to make custom profiles for all of our stocked papers but he is no longer offering this service. While we are contemplating bringing this process in house can anyone recommend a company or individual who offers this service. We would like somebody who a.) knows what they are doing, preferably a color scientist b.) is using the best equipment available and c.) is preferably located on the east coast.
Best,
Patrick Allen
www.KenAllenStudios.com (http://www.KenAllenStudios.com)
-
Query the folks at booksmartstudio.com. I doubt that they have a "color scientist", and probably not the "best equipment available", but they're in Rochester, NY. I'm happy with the Epson 7900 profile they made for me.
-
I haven't tried them yet, but I've seen a lot of folks recommend CHROMIX (http://www2.chromix.com/index.cxsa) Looking at their web site they appear to have been in the business for a very long time and know their stuff. I am going to try their Color Valet service. They offer custom profile for $99 a pop but if you buy in bulk (5 or more) you get a discount. It's a shame I only need three. They offer a money back guarantee. They are on the West Coast I believe.
Here is a link from their site which has a lot of useful info: http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Custom_Profiling_Services
If anyone has any experience with them please chime in.
Evan
-
Another option is Andrew Rodney 'The Digital Dog' who is a frequent contributor to this forum and author of 'Color Management for Photographers', he provides custom profiles and has been consulting on colour management for almost twenty years. Unfortunately he is not on the East coast. His website is http://digitaldog.net/ (http://digitaldog.net/) and the specific page on profiling is http://digitaldog.net/services.html (http://digitaldog.net/services.html)
I have not used his services as I am based in the UK.
Regards,
Nigel
-
I haven't tried them yet, but I've seen a lot of folks recommend CHROMIX (http://www2.chromix.com/index.cxsa) [...] If anyone has any experience with them please chime in.
Evan
A few years ago, they made a printer profile for my consumer-grade HP printer. I don't have the tools to provide a quantitative assessment but I was satisfied with the results which were much better than what I was getting with the profile supplied by HP. Of course, such printers are likely to have a larger unit-to-unit variation than pro models which are likely to be closer to factory specs and for which profile improvements are likely to be small.
-
Another option is Andrew Rodney 'The Digital Dog' who is a frequent contributor to this forum and author of 'Color Management for Photographers', he provides custom profiles and has been consulting on colour management for almost twenty years. Unfortunately he is not on the East coast. His website is http://digitaldog.net/ (http://digitaldog.net/) and the specific page on profiling is http://digitaldog.net/services.html (http://digitaldog.net/services.html)
I have not used his services as I am based in the UK.
Regards,
Nigel
Andrew has built several profiles for me in the past and I highly recommend him, he is after all, the Digital Dog. Back when I was printing through ImagePrint he was even able to provide me with an excellent profile for my preferred paper at the time printed through that driver. Eric Chan built profiles as well but may not still be offering that service as his duties at Adobe are probably taking most of his time.
-
For Europe i use this company in France.
Have good experiences!
http://www.cmp-color.fr/eng%20digital%20target.html
Henk
-
I used Booksmart recently for some number of profiles. The service was OK but not without problems. Their profiles were not expensive and, in the end, I suspect this is the problem. I will probably seek another source for custom profiles in the future in honesty. Others may have entirely different results from Booksmart and I speak only from my own recent experience.
John Caldwell
-
Although many of these suggestions have been top notch, $99 seems a bit steep to me when inkjetart.com will do it for $25 and its pretty good. I'm using one I had done for my canvas, and sent in the targets after coating because its amazing how much the coating changes things.