Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: amphotoguy on June 24, 2012, 06:20:14 pm

Title: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: amphotoguy on June 24, 2012, 06:20:14 pm
I am looking to purchase a Rotatrm Professional Trimmer.  I am going to be trimming large photo printed from an Epson 9880.  Are there any thoughts on these trimmers vs other trimmers on the market? 

Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: PeterAit on June 24, 2012, 06:30:02 pm
I have found my Rotatrim to be excellent. I don't have a lot to compare it to, other than cheap razor blade trimmers, but it has performed very well. I can trim a 1/2 mm strip off the edge of a print with perfect accuracy. Be aware they are just for paper, not mat board and the like.
Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: namartinnz on June 24, 2012, 07:38:13 pm
Same as above. I have a 36" & 54" in trimmer. They are certainly expensive but will work for years working perfectly. Good for trimming my canvas prints as well as photo and art paper.

Neal
Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: ftbt on June 24, 2012, 10:44:04 pm
I have a 54" as well. Straight of the box it wouldn't cut canvas. I contacted the manufacturer in England and they sent out a replacement rotary blade and that fixed the problem. (Although bit tricky to change the blades.)
Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: Ken on June 24, 2012, 10:47:59 pm
I agree that you can trim half a mm, but it constantly needs whacking back into square... despite the shock absorbing padding I put at the finish end. I also found that the lines etched into the surface have little in common with square to the cutting edge. 
Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: Garnick on June 24, 2012, 11:12:32 pm
My first 15" RotaTrim was purchased in 1975.  I would estimate that it has seen well in excess of 1,000,000,000 cuts since then and I still use it on a daily basis.  It's not quite as square as it once was, but that's not an issue in most cases, since the the difference is minimal.  Still the original blade, never been sharpened.  Until about 10 years ago I had to tighten the blade/spring assembly periodically, but then I used a bit of Locktight and haven't had to tighten it again.  I also have a 24" model that dates back to the early '80s and it's performing equally as well, although not used as much as the smaller one.  Also a newer 15" that I use for ultra critical cuts.  All in all, an excellent investment!

Gary
Title: Re: Rotatrim Professional Trimmers
Post by: neile on June 25, 2012, 12:25:42 am
We've talked about them several times in the past here. Try these threads:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57162.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=31883.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53966.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=37190.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=35954.0

Neil