Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: John Caldwell on June 24, 2012, 05:11:10 pm

Title: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: John Caldwell on June 24, 2012, 05:11:10 pm
What are you using for hosting of Web Galleries that you generate in LR and similar programs? For years I've been enjoying Apple's iDisk for hosting not only of web galleries, but any other content I needed to share. It was easy; all that was needed was sharing a URL for the files and folders in question.

This is likely an insultingly simple question for many of you but a web programmer I am not.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 24, 2012, 05:36:02 pm
I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that DropBox might be a reasonable option.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 24, 2012, 06:12:44 pm
Dropbox is great for sharing stuff with people or moving files between computers (and for those with a techy bent, your Lightroom application support folders (http://lightroomsolutions.com/dropbox-lightroom-aliases-and-symbolic-links/)). Not sure I'd share web galleries out of it though.
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: John Caldwell on June 24, 2012, 09:19:01 pm
Thanks to you both. I'm looking for a server whereon I can store files, and write a URL to that file. If I upload a zip file for example, I want to be able to send you the link to that zip file so that your clicking that link will download that zip file to your machine; or upload an html web gallery folder exported from LR so that when you click the URL to that web gallery folder, the gallery loads on your machine. We've been able to do all this with the iDisk, and that's what I'm hoping to be able to host elsewhere. I had the impression that dropbox would not offer similar hosting/linking functionality.

Thanks again.

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 25, 2012, 03:48:58 am
Thanks to you both. I'm looking for a server whereon I can store files, and write a URL to that file. If I upload a zip file for example, I want to be able to send you the link to that zip file so that your clicking that link will download that zip file to your machine; or upload an html web gallery folder exported from LR so that when you click the URL to that web gallery folder, the gallery loads on your machine. We've been able to do all this with the iDisk, and that's what I'm hoping to be able to host elsewhere. I had the impression that dropbox would not offer similar hosting/linking functionality.

Thanks again.

John Caldwell
You can certainly use DropBox to send links to files which are downloaded when the link is clicked. As I say, I've not tried to serve a web gallery; but since my iDisk is also about to disappear, I anticipate having a bash fairly soon.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2012, 01:35:32 pm
I've not tried to serve a web gallery;

Just tried and it seems to work.

John
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 25, 2012, 02:24:04 pm
Just tried and it seems to work.

John
You must tell me what you did! I've just tried it and was about to report failure.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2012, 02:40:58 pm
I simply generated a small web gallery and saved it in Dropbox's Public folder, then copied the public link for the index.html file. Did you do something different?
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 25, 2012, 02:51:33 pm
I simply generated a small web gallery and saved it in Dropbox's Public folder, then copied the public link for the index.html file. Did you do something different?
Yes; I put my small web gallery directly into my Dropbox folder (not in the Public folder), then generated a link to the index.html file. Following the link in a browser led to a very pretty display of html code!

I've tried your method and it works fine. Thanks.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2012, 03:09:26 pm
I'll confess I was surprised when it worked.

John
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: AFairley on June 25, 2012, 05:45:45 pm
Wow, who knew? 
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: SangRaal on June 26, 2012, 08:45:35 am
Does any body use "Deviant Art" to host their galleries or individual pictures?
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: John Caldwell on June 26, 2012, 12:11:11 pm
Excellent. This looks like the DropBox Public folder is giving the functionality that I most valued from the iDisk. I appreciate your walking me through this.

I appear that any sort of file content to which you want a URL assigned, be it an image, a web gallery html index, an audio file - those files must reside in the Public Folder but it appears that they can be subsequently nested in subfolders.
Thanks everyone.

John-
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 26, 2012, 12:17:35 pm
But do bear in mind that I've little idea what iDisc does - I'm just saying Dropbox is great for sharing files and even web galleries.
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: John Caldwell on June 26, 2012, 12:22:33 pm
I'm now trying to link an image file within the DropBox Public folder. Not really sure how we link to hosted images on Michael's site, but it looks like that works too. Good find, and thank you all.

John-

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2012/20120519_West_Penn_Conservancy/_I9H1347.jpg)

Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 26, 2012, 02:07:48 pm
I suppose since I first suggested Dropbox, I should raise one caveat: I have no idea whether their terms and conditions allow such hosting.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 26, 2012, 02:38:07 pm
Hm, the Lightroom community could provide Dropbox with a completely new business model - or bring them crashing down!
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: AFairley on June 26, 2012, 04:09:50 pm
Well, I read that the functionaliyt is not going to be available to accounts created after July 1, so .... sign up now if you want it.
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 26, 2012, 04:23:53 pm
Well, I read that the functionaliyt is not going to be available to accounts created after July 1, so .... sign up now if you want it.
I'd not heard that. Anyway, if anybody plans to sign up and would like to have 2.5Gb free rather than the default 2Gb, let me have your email address, I'll invite you to join and we'll both benefit.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Demise of iDisk: Hosting Of Web Galleries
Post by: john beardsworth on June 26, 2012, 04:28:20 pm
The way I read https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en is that yes, the Public folder will not be available for accounts created after July 31st. On the other hand, all the folders will be able to do what the Public folder could do.