Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on June 18, 2012, 01:32:54 pm

Title: Marsh morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 18, 2012, 01:32:54 pm
Thanks for looking.
Scott
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 18, 2012, 02:29:26 pm
First: I like it. The central area of black water has an interesting shape.
Second: would be much better if there weren't that gap in the reeds a little to the left of the flower, which grabs my attention.
Third: doesn't do much for me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 19, 2012, 04:35:08 pm
Thanks, Jeremy. I'd like 1 better if the flower had more definition.
2: hadn't noticed the gap. This is my first experiment with focus stacking, on the flowers.
3: The View Number agrees with you, but it's a favorite of mine, possibly because these orchids are so showy and uncommon.
Scott
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: wolfnowl on June 19, 2012, 05:41:31 pm
Well, they are 'showy ladyslippers' and they are uncommon - good enough for an ID photo, but the perspective isn't much for art.

Mike.
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: francois on June 20, 2012, 03:19:33 am
The first one is wonderful. Framing, colors and shapes are in good harmony.
I have to agree with both Mike and Jeremy for the second and third images.
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 20, 2012, 03:23:31 am
Thanks, Jeremy. I'd like 1 better if the flower had more definition.
2: hadn't noticed the gap. This is my first experiment with focus stacking, on the flowers.
3: The View Number agrees with you, but it's a favorite of mine, possibly because these orchids are so showy and uncommon.
Scott
Scott, I agree that #1 could be improved, but it's jolly good. My reason for the followup, however, is a confession: the gap in #2 is, of course, to the right of the flowers! Whoops.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Marsh morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 20, 2012, 03:26:13 pm
Well, they are 'showy ladyslippers' and they are uncommon - good enough for an ID photo, but the perspective isn't much for art.

Thanks, Mike. You mean the angle of approach? All three were constrained by railings, vegetation and water. I did try another perspective, but choices were limited (what's new?).
Thanks also, Francois. It's all useful input.
I like #3 for the contrasting colours and forms, and the details in the dew drops and leaf edges.
Scott