Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: luxborealis on June 18, 2012, 09:25:56 am

Title: Hostas
Post by: luxborealis on June 18, 2012, 09:25:56 am
Here are 3 from Sunday afternoon musing in the back garden.

All are D800e w/105mm Micro-Nikkor
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: ghoonk on June 19, 2012, 02:28:01 am
Lovely stuff - I'm a huge fan of macro abstracts. Really inspiring!
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 19, 2012, 03:27:41 am
The textures of the first two are beautiful. I wonder how the last one would have looked with a drop of water hanging from the tip.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: ghoonk on June 19, 2012, 03:49:28 am
It might look a little cliche ;)
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: francois on June 19, 2012, 05:51:12 am
…I wonder how the last one would have looked with a drop of water hanging from the tip.

Jeremy

The drop would be icing on the cake!
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: churly on June 19, 2012, 07:13:26 pm
Terry - I very much like what you have done with these.  I am wondering about how you approached the selective focus.  Particularly in #2 you have used the slice that is in focus as a leading line but I'm not sure how you managed it.  I am guessing either a rotated tilt-shift simulation in software or perhaps a lens baby.  I would be interested in any comment you might have.

All the best,
Chuck
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: luxborealis on June 20, 2012, 08:27:29 am
Terry - I very much like what you have done with these.  I am wondering about how you approached the selective focus.  Particularly in #2 you have used the slice that is in focus as a leading line but I'm not sure how you managed it.  I am guessing either a rotated tilt-shift simulation in software or perhaps a lens baby.  I would be interested in any comment you might have.
All the best,
Chuck

I'll take that as a compliment - thanks! ;D

All photos are the result of good old straight photography, the limited depth-of-field offered by ƒ8 on a  105mm lens on a full-frame camera as well as very careful composition.

These shots were experiments for me. I am, by long tradition, an "on the tripod" worker, but that afternoon I wanted to see what was possible with the D800e sensor at higher ISOs and hand-holding. ISO400 allowed me to shoot int he 1/160 to 1/400 range. What a revelation for me as I don't think I could have achieved these same precise compositions using a tripod quite as easily as I did hand-holding. BTW ISO1600 looked as good as ISO400! Amazing.
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: churly on June 20, 2012, 10:21:42 am
Terry - Yes definitely a compliment.  I was just thinking that the zone of focus doesn't seem to be parallel to the 'apparent' plane of the sensor but I guess that is just thae way I was seeing it.  Maybe my glasses were on crooked.

Cheers
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: LarsHansen on June 20, 2012, 03:48:33 pm
I like the subject, the comp and also the pp.

Funny thing - I also came across some hostas recently and took some shots. I couldn't resist because of their big fresh leaves. This was after a rainy day so they might be cliches with raindrops.. ;D

Lars
Title: Re: Hostas
Post by: shaunw on June 22, 2012, 01:11:47 am
Lovely shape/texture/detail...agree a drop of water on the last in set may have looked nice?