Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2012, 01:08:47 pm

Title: mv (another)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2012, 01:08:47 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: shutterpup on June 17, 2012, 01:25:35 pm
I don't care for the dark orangish foreground at all. What I like are the background rocks in shadow.
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: RSL on June 17, 2012, 01:51:56 pm
I sort of agree with Pup, Jeremy. I think I'd have lowered the saturation in the foreground. But I love the atmospheric perspective in the picture. Very nice!
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 17, 2012, 05:21:09 pm
I would like to see the saturation pulled back quite a bit. I even think it could work very nicely as B&W.
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2012, 06:08:06 pm
Good points, all. Thank you. It's easy to grasp when people point it out.

I tried a b&w version but I couldn't get it to work.

How about this, then?

Jeremy
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: RSL on June 17, 2012, 09:16:31 pm
Yes! Very nice!
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 17, 2012, 09:51:04 pm
Much better.
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: shutterpup on June 17, 2012, 10:45:55 pm
I like this one so much better.
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 19, 2012, 04:43:14 pm
#2: nice light and colour. Great composition, too. Lots of lines and shapes to keep the eye engaged.
Scott
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: LoisWakeman on June 20, 2012, 07:34:52 am
Jeremy, I think this is very much more to my taste. The orange and blue palette is captivating, and the various layers and shapes make a strong composition that keeps the eyes engaged in the frame.  The flow of the rock shapes from right to left is nicely brought to a halt by the darker pinnacle too.

Never been there, but I imagine the colour impression is accurate and prefer the more saturated version (unusually for me!).

The only thing I don't like is the rather sour colour of the sky - can you decrease the yellows a bit perhaps?
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on June 20, 2012, 02:38:07 pm
Another vote for number two Jeremy.

What a pleasure it must be to have scenery like this to shoot. After about six months of constantly hunting for compositions, having found one and having it spoiled today by bad wheather and big tanker ships ambling along in the harbour background makes me jealous looking at this.

 
Title: Re: mv (another)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 20, 2012, 02:58:25 pm
Another vote for number two Jeremy.

What a pleasure it must be to have scenery like this to shoot. After about six months of constantly hunting for compositions, having found one and having it spoiled today by bad wheather and big tanker ships ambling along in the harbour background makes me jealous looking at this.

Thanks, Riaan. If I had scenery like this on my doorstep, I'd be a happy bunny. Alas, it's a good 5,000 miles from my home.

Lois, I had rather boosted saturation generally in order to enhance the layered rocks. My attention was so concentrated there that I'd not really noticed what I'd done to the foreground. I think the lesser saturated version is more "accurate", but I'm not a journalist so I do it as I please! I see what you mean about the sky: decreasing yellow saturation perhaps improves colour but it reduces contrast. I'll play with it a little more: maybe I'll learn how to use the Hue sliders in LR.

Jeremy