Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John McDermott on June 15, 2012, 09:58:47 pm

Title: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: John McDermott on June 15, 2012, 09:58:47 pm
The attached picture (_mg_1430.jpg) was taken on 6/18/2009 during a quick lunch/reststop in Rumsford, Maine USA while driving all day. Camera was a Canon 50D with EF-S 10-22mm WA lens at 22mm. ISO 200 @ 1/125, f8.0. It was just a casual snapshot of a father and daughter that caught my eye. In reviewing the photos from that trip I almst discarded this one. However, the father daughter pair had a Norman Rockwellesque look about it that demanded a second look. (For non US residents who may not know, Norman Rockwell is an iconic artist famous for his Saturday Evening Post covers of Americana.)

At any rate, I severly cropped the image and came up with two versions (_mg_1430-1.jpg and _mg_1430-2.jpg). I have a hard time deciding which I prefer, so they are both hanging on my living room wall.

I'd be interested what you all think.
Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: shutterpup on June 15, 2012, 11:30:38 pm
I like the composition in #3 best.
Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 15, 2012, 11:43:19 pm
Likewise. In #3 they are looking into the picture, and the tree on the right balances them.
Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: Tony Jay on June 16, 2012, 06:22:30 am
Everything about the third composition works.

Regards

Tony Jay

Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: Kerry L on June 16, 2012, 06:58:19 am
#3........ better balance. By removing the large rocks, the fg is much cleaner.

It is a classic scene.
Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: jule on June 17, 2012, 03:57:12 am
#3... without doubt.. less visual elements.

Julie
Title: Re: Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Post by: seamus finn on June 17, 2012, 07:41:01 am
3 for me too