Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jackler on June 15, 2012, 05:05:28 pm

Title: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: jackler on June 15, 2012, 05:05:28 pm
I had to move my printer to another of my home and am no longer to connect directly to my mac pro. I have the option of transferring files and connecting my macbook pro to the printer but that seems laborious. I would rather be able to send directly via a wireless connection a) if possible b) i have the bandwidth.

I have a dlink wireless router for my internet, but not sure what would be required on the epson end of the wireless chain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Title: Re: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: Mark Paulson on June 15, 2012, 08:02:48 pm
I use Apple Airports for my house and have a couple of airport expreses hooked up wirelessly with the printers plugged in to the Ethernet ports on the units. Works great.
Title: Re: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: Farmer on June 16, 2012, 05:19:38 am
Your 4880 just needs to be linked into the existing network.  This could be done in many ways.  You might like to look at Ethernet over Power solutions, which have really come of age (5 years ago they sucked).  In most situations, if you have power you can get a network connection, and obviously you do have power.

To do it wirelessly (not as good as Ethernet over Power these days, in my opinion, but still viable) would mean putting a wireless router next to your printer, plugging the printer into it, and then using that router to link to your existing wireless network.  Depending on the hardware you have/obtain will depend as to how you achieve this.

Truly, though, if you want simplicity look at EoP.
Title: Re: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: howardm on June 16, 2012, 05:32:36 am
+1 on EoP.  Certainly simpler than adding another wireless widget (ala Airport Express) to 'extend' a wireless network for a networking neophyte.  If you do decide to go wireless, then an Airport Express is the way to go.
Title: Re: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: jackler on June 18, 2012, 01:20:17 pm
Thanks y'all that was helpful. I will look into the Ethernet over power option. I am worried it can't handle the bandwidth of my images (scanned medium and large format psds/tiffs).
Title: Re: I need step by step advice on how I can wirelessly connect with my epson 4880
Post by: Farmer on June 18, 2012, 06:43:11 pm
EoP is faster and has less latency than wireless.  You can get 200Mb/s with the "entry level" versions and up to 500Mb/s with the "pro" versions.

There are factors involved including the length of the power line run and the quality of the cabling, but even in the worst case with the "entry level" you should find it more responsive than wireless and in any case far, far faster than the speed at which the printer can possibly print (i.e. your printer won't be waiting for data).