Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 13, 2012, 02:32:22 pm

Title: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 13, 2012, 02:32:22 pm
My Self-Portrait Won One of the B&W Spider Awards:

(http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4054/4639524173_d350932e84.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/4639524173/)
Ape (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/4639524173/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr

 :P

1. Actually, 3rd place in the Wildlife/Amateur category (http://www.thespiderawards.com/gala/winners.php?x=a&cid=116), and will be published in the PHOTO PAPER Magazine (print edition). You can download issues #1 and #2 with previous year's winning images here (http://www.thespiderawards.com/photopaper.php). I might be biased of course, but I was very impressed with the quality published in the magazines so far.

The Black and White Spider Awards, now in its 7th year, claims to be "... the leading international award honoring black and white photography... With a collective Judging Panel of the world’s most recognized experts from TATE, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, FRATELLI ALINARI, THE ART NEWSPAPER, BONHAMS of London and more..." Of course, the best way to deal with self-proclamations like this is to visit the site (http://www.thespiderawards.com/) and see for yourself.

2. Speaking about competitions, I was also recently "commended" in the 2012 Sony World Photography Awards, in the Travel category. That's the same competition where Mitch Dobrowner won Photographer of the Year title (luckily for him, he was in the Professional Category, and I was in the Open one, so Mitch was safe ;))

This was the photo:

(http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5046/5288195867_8a0cb2f764.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/5288195867/)
Rainy Parisian Summer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/5288195867/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr

Unfortunately, this Sony competition announcement did not pass without a little cruelty: I first got an email congratulating me on being shortlisted among the top 10 in the travel category, only to be followed with an "ooops, sorry, we screwed up" mail a day later, congratulating me on being "commended" instead.

3. Speaking about cruelty, life has a habit of repeating it on occasion. Two years ago, I got an email congratulating me on being shortlisted, again in the top 10, for the cover of the Rangefinder magazine. One of the 10 would end up on the cover, but the rest would still be published inside. Again, a day or two later, I got an email retracting the previous one. This time it was not on technical or clerical grounds, but on the grounds of one of the most unbelievable political correctness and affirmative action examples i personally experienced: there was not a single women photographer among the top ten! Never mind that the jurying was blind (i.e., no name or gender was known to the judges). Never mind that some female contestants protested they feel insulted and patronized that they are not going to win on the strength of their photography, but on their gender. They decided, post-factum, to go for a little affirmative action, reshuffled the cards and came back with something like 5/5 or 6/4 ratio. Needless to say, I was among the four or five booted out. This was the photo in question, btw:

(http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4047/4407274533_8ccbec75b6.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/4407274533/)
The L Train (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/4407274533/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr

Sorry for the long post (and some rant along the way).
Title: Re: My Self-Portrait Won One of the B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 13, 2012, 03:07:18 pm
Congratulation, Slobodan!

Nice photos all, but I think the self-portrait is much better than the one you use in your avatar.   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: My Self-Portrait Won One of the B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 13, 2012, 07:01:57 pm
... I think the self-portrait is much better than the one you use in your avatar.   ;)

Right. I already heard my current avatar appears too friendly-looking for my forum persona, so I might indeed try a resigned monkey one :)
Title: Re: B&W Spider Awards
Post by: Rob C on June 14, 2012, 03:58:05 am
Congrats, Slobodan, and don't let the organizational scew-ups screw you too.

Rob C
Title: Re: B&W Spider Awards
Post by: jule on June 14, 2012, 05:41:05 am
Congrats Slobodan, let's hope there isn't a third.."oops - we are sorry letter we made an error" letter.  I really like your Rainy Parisian summer.

Julie
Title: Re: B&W Spider Awards
Post by: Justan on June 14, 2012, 10:48:50 am
Congratulations! Cream always rises.

I remember when you posted the “self” portrait here.
Title: Re: B&W Spider Awards
Post by: RSL on June 14, 2012, 03:54:09 pm
Don't know how I missed this one, Slobodan, but my most sincere congratulations on all three. I especially like the rainy Parisian scene, and I've seen the winner thrown out for PC failure somewhere. Did you post it on here earlier? Love it.

In short, bravo!
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 14, 2012, 10:06:42 pm
Thanks all!

A question: does anyone have any prior experience/opinion about the Spider Awards or their Photo Paper magazine?
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Tony Jay on June 15, 2012, 04:15:59 am
That gorilla is tops in my book!

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: William Walker on June 15, 2012, 09:08:12 am
Well done SloBlaGo™©!! (Slo for short, or, to take the Monthy Python thing to the end - Slo-Baby!)

I agree, the current avatar has spoiled the image I had of you! ;D

William
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: wolfnowl on June 16, 2012, 01:59:31 am
Congrats indeed!

Mike.
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 16, 2012, 12:22:00 pm
The site is now up with the Winners Gallery (http://www.thespiderawards.com/gallery/7th/). Some really good b&w photography there.

I also got a cute little "Winner Button" to brag about (ah, the trappings of vanity :)):

(http://www.thespiderawards.com/images/resources/button_winner-250w.jpg)

Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: alban on June 16, 2012, 01:52:24 pm
Good work, congratulations !! (sorry for writing such a long word)
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: slackercruster on June 17, 2012, 01:14:17 pm
A+++++++
Title: Re: Won B&W Spider Awards!
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 19, 2012, 07:42:09 am
Congratulations! I especially like Rainy Paris.
Scott