Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Dinarius on June 08, 2012, 07:21:32 am

Title: Color Checker: Looking for one that is long, not rectangular?
Post by: Dinarius on June 08, 2012, 07:21:32 am
I've been asked to photograph an old manuscript, the pages of which are about A5 in size. A color chart must appear in every image.

I have an X-Rite Mini Color Checker (why did they stop making these? The Passport is much bigger. Very annoying!  ???) However, if I pull back to include the colour checker as well as the A5 page, I am losing too many pixels devoted solely to the subject. The Mini Checker is simply too big.

Ideally, I would like a color checker similar to the old Kodak strips, so that the color squares would run alongside each page, minimising the pull-back required.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Would it be OK to cut a Mini Checker into four strips of six and paste them lengthways to a support?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Color Checker: Looking for one that is long, not rectangular?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on June 08, 2012, 08:13:27 am
Ideally, I would like a color checker similar to the old Kodak strips, so that the color squares would run alongside each page, minimising the pull-back required.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Would it be OK to cut a Mini Checker into four strips and paste them lengthways to a support?

Just wondering, why do you need to include a color checker in each and every image? Couldn't you just shoot one with, and the rest of the session without ColorChecker?

For a color reference with a different aspect ration you could check out the QPcard 201 (http://www.qpcard.com/en_b2c/color-reference-cards/qpcard201.html)

You can also produce your own color reference, but you would need to have a means to calibrate the output. A tool like the BabelColor PatchTool (http://www.babelcolor.com/#PatchTool) could be useful for that.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Color Checker: Looking for one that is long, not rectangular?
Post by: Dinarius on June 08, 2012, 12:00:24 pm
The Kodak strip is the perfect shape and was standard in the days of tranny.

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/product.php/1869/large-greyscale-and-colour-separation-guide

Ok with digital?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Color Checker: Looking for one that is long, not rectangular?
Post by: LenR on June 08, 2012, 06:07:31 pm
Or you could cut up the color checker into strips and lay them around the art where it's convenient.
Title: Re: Color Checker: Looking for one that is long, not rectangular?
Post by: Steve Weldon on June 09, 2012, 02:37:52 am
Or you could cut up the color checker into strips and lay them around the art where it's convenient.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that simple yet permanent thought. It makes perfect sense UNLESS the software looks for the colors in order?  Or a pattern of order.  There's always Scotch tape..  :-\