Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: John E on June 07, 2012, 10:49:56 am

Title: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: John E on June 07, 2012, 10:49:56 am
Just to let the community know, I came across this announcement regarding one of our esteemed members (and one of my favorite photographers):

http://www.worldphoto.org/competitions/2012-winners-announcement/

I recall the last shots he posted here in August were some of his storm series, and now he's gone and won "a major award". Good on ya', Mitch! Wonderful series.

John E
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Rob C on June 07, 2012, 11:56:05 am
Boy, can he make pictures!

Rob C
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: francois on June 07, 2012, 12:01:38 pm
Boy, can he make pictures!
…

Couldn't agree more!
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 07, 2012, 12:16:56 pm
Wow! For once a major competition really got it right! Congratulations, Mitch!
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 07, 2012, 12:20:51 pm
Richly deserved.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: jule on June 10, 2012, 04:44:42 am
Congratulations Mitch. I remember when you first joined LL and posted a few images to ask some advice and critique on. I remember thinking.... OMG... I love this work... and just keep doing what you are doing !!! Blew my socks off years ago...and continues to do so today !

Julie
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Peter McLennan on June 10, 2012, 01:27:35 pm
Never an award more deserved.  Mitch's images always emit gasps from me.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: RSL on June 10, 2012, 04:11:17 pm
Bravo!, Mitch. Keep 'em clicking.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: mitchdob on June 12, 2012, 12:56:53 am
Wow guys, someone just pointed me to this post. So just wanted to say THANK YOU!! This forum has been a huge help to me over the years.
I truly appreciate all your help and kind comments.
Oh.. and hell yea... it's about time some b&w photography got some recognition :)
Thanks again...
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: RSL on June 12, 2012, 11:46:40 am
Pretty fantastic work for an eleven-year-old.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: louoates on June 12, 2012, 02:05:39 pm
Those shots were so impressive I didn't even notice they were B/W. I must also say that they are scary. I wouldn't have the courage to be out in such weather.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 12, 2012, 02:10:20 pm
Congrats, Mitch!
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 12, 2012, 02:14:26 pm
Pretty fantastic work for an eleven-year-old.
I think the "11" under "age" on Mitch's profile may be in error. It also lists "Date of Registration" as September something of 2006, which would make hime only a bit less than 6 years old. After all, was there really life before LuLa?    :D
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: wolfnowl on June 13, 2012, 01:28:46 am
Well deserved congratulations!  Especially for a six year old!  ;D

Mike.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: mitchdob on June 14, 2012, 10:55:46 am
Well, I thought about updating my profile but decided that it was nice being 6 years old again (or was it 11... I forget?). Anyway, keep an eye out for the July edition of National Geographic. Would be interested in what you think.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and support on LL.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: mitchdob on June 16, 2012, 12:42:25 am
National Geographic links:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/07/epic-storms/berlin-text

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/07/epic-storms/dobrowner-photography
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Josh-H on June 16, 2012, 04:33:35 am
Where is the 'Like' Button!

Seriously cool stuff Mitch!
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 16, 2012, 09:50:03 am
I still get goose bumps just looking at your photos, Mitch. As Josh says, Seriously cool stuff!

Eric
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Peter McLennan on June 16, 2012, 12:40:26 pm
Mitch, if you can take time from photography, please consider a workshop.  Even if it didn't involve any field work, instruction on meteorology, navigation and safety would top my list of knowledge vacancies.
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: Paul Sumi on June 17, 2012, 12:00:00 pm
There is an interview with Mitch on the L.A Times website from June 5th:

http://framework.latimes.com/2012/06/05/reframed-in-conversation-with-fine-art-photographer-mitch-dobrowner/#/0

Paul
Title: Re: Mitch Dobrowner wins Photog of the Year award
Post by: NancyP on June 19, 2012, 10:10:40 am
Wow! What beautiful images, collected into a coherent set greater than sum of its parts.

I give Mitch full credit for nerve, too. My instinct on seeing a funnel cloud is to look for the nearest ditch.