Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: mbalensiefer on June 04, 2012, 11:46:54 am

Title: Imaging software
Post by: mbalensiefer on June 04, 2012, 11:46:54 am
I am trying to determine which imaging software can best take ~40 gigs of data from a larger HD (~128 GB) and create an (approximate) 40-gig image and allow this image to be installed, partition-free, on a larger-than-40-gig hard drive.

So far, my smaller-imaged data sets seem to bottleneck the partition size of the new (larger) disks when installed.

Thank you,
Michael
Title: Re: Imaging software
Post by: BernardLanguillier on June 06, 2012, 06:00:13 am
OS?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Imaging software
Post by: mbalensiefer on June 06, 2012, 07:48:29 am
So Sorry!:P

~Windows 7 (64)
Title: Re: Imaging software
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on June 06, 2012, 08:18:14 am
I am trying to determine which imaging software can best take ~40 gigs of data from a larger HD (~128 GB) and create an (approximate) 40-gig image and allow this image to be installed, partition-free, on a larger-than-40-gig hard drive.

Hi Michael,

Lots of software can do that, you could even use a regular copy cycle to transfer between disks. But maybe I'm not understanding your issue.

Quote
So far, my smaller-imaged data sets seem to bottleneck the partition size of the new (larger) disks when installed.

I do not understand. Do you have a a disk image? How was that image made? Did it include empty sectors and such, or special compression?

Perhaps you need a different application to manage the diskdata altogether, e.g. something like Paragon's Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/). They also have a more Professional version, but you may have no need for the additional features. I use their Disk Partitioning software, and it's very solid software.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Imaging software
Post by: mbalensiefer on June 06, 2012, 08:43:21 am
I am using S-Drive software to image ~108 G of data (from a 121 G drive) onto a 111 G drive.
The problem is that the resultant image is the same size as my hard drive's total space, used-or-unused (~121G).

I want the image itself to be the size of my data, only.
I need software that will take this data and put it onto any-sized drive that is larger than this data...and without creating a new partition.
I have had no luck with Acronis, either.

:P

Thank you!
~Michael