Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BCRose on June 03, 2012, 11:23:02 pm
-
I have been using IP7 with an Epson 7880 for a couple of years and love it.
I just purchased anew iMac and find out that IP7 will not work with it ???
I am not a happy camper. You would think a $1500 piece of software would be supported for more than just a couple of years.
I am going to try to install Windows7 on the iMac and run it from there, I hope that works.
Has anyone had this problem? Is this a workaround? Colorbytesoftware tech support has not been the most helpful. Telling me to upgrade for $900.
Thanks in advance,
BCRose
-
Great product and great customer support if you have a service contract and/or you are using the latest release within the free support period. If neither of these apply then forget it, they are not the easiest to deal with. As much as I like IP, as Lightroom has matured it has become less and less relevant for me - to the point at which I dropped it, and haven't looked back. Although their pricing structure isn't as draconian as it once was (and hey, there's a demo version for PC users now) it still seems to be expensive. To be fair though, all high-end RIPs seem pricey - probably reflecting the market which drives 90% of sales - professional print shops and the like, rather than jobbing photographers (like me) on a tight budget.
-
...Or hobbyists like me.
I decided to keep an old PC with IP7 on it just for printing. Eating the $1500 cost of this software doesn't sit well with me so this alternative will need to work for now.
I would use Lightroom but I have the Phatte Black cartridge installed. I will be changing that next time I buy ink and moving to Lightroom for printing I suppose.
Not too pleased with Colorbyte using OS upgrades as a way to cash in. Greedy.
-
I own two copies of IP9 one for my Epson 7900 and one for my Epson 9900. When I upgraded to Lion, I was stressed out by having to spend over $1,200 to upgrade this software. However, as a professional tool ImagePrint makes my life easier, saves me time and makes me money. As such, I completely understand that Colorbyte makes an exceptional product and is in business to make money just like the rest of us.
For those that don't want to spend the money or need this type of product, there are alternatives available.
I have found Colorbyte easy to work with, they answer my emails expeditiously and as such I find value in what they do and what they offer. Especially the large volume and quality of color and black/white profiles. For me, this is more than worth the price of admission. Alternatively, having custom profiles made would certainly justify the cost of this product.
-
I agree it is an exceptional product and I paid the steep price of admission with no qualms. I wanted the best possible prints from my 7880.
However, I use the product for my personal use and I am not too happy that Colorbyte wants me to pay them again just because OS's get upgraded every 18 months, ridiculous.
I have found that Adobe's Lightroom has pretty much caught up to them and better in some ways so I will switch and forget about ever dealing with them again. I don't imagine they will be around much longer anyways with customer disservice like this in my opinion.
-
BCR,
You are 100% correct in your view in light that you don't use the software as a professional but for your "own use". Most professional software companies have moved toward yearly updates. This allows them to keep their staff employed (read "create jobs") and keep their companies moving forward.
You are also correct in the LR4 does some things very well. I would disagree that LR4 has caught up to IP4. IP4 offers hundred of paper profiles base upon 6 lighting types, allows for ink management, and does B/W with profiles for each paper. I have yet to find this capability in LR4. I also find that IP9 prints with deep rich shadow detail that I just don't see from LR4 on my 7900 and 9900 printers.
No doubt that this software is expensive. However, I would more readily blame Apple for changing Lion, than blaming Colorbyte for having to react to the change, pay their staff salaries, and invest valuable resources to keep their product viable.
In any event, I sincerely hope your prints are wonderfully expressive and bring much enjoyment to all who have the honor of viewing them.
Warmest regards.....
-
I understand their business model. Just in the angry stage of my experience. Will be better in a few days. ;)
Want to buy a Dongle? Cheap!