Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MGH on June 02, 2012, 11:28:54 am

Title: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: MGH on June 02, 2012, 11:28:54 am
Hi....This is my most popular photo on Flickr, well the old version. Two years on I´m much better with Photoshop so I thought I should re-edit it, I´m much happyer with this new version. But two years from now who knows, that´s the great thing about shooting RAW format.
 This is from two exposures manualy blended useing luminosity masks in CS5.
 
Thanks for looking, C&C very welcome.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7320679122_10cc777598_o.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodemalaga/7320679122/)
Matterhorn Sunset (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodemalaga/7320679122/) by marcodemalaga (http://www.flickr.com/people/marcodemalaga/), on Flickr
 
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: Deep on June 02, 2012, 08:54:19 pm
Easy to see why it's popular!  I'd imagine you could produce several variations of this image and they'd all look good.

Don
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: JohnBrew on June 02, 2012, 09:07:34 pm
Wow, Marco, that's quite the image. I've never seen the Matterhorn from that perspective before.
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: Justan on June 03, 2012, 09:59:34 am
Nicely done!
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 03, 2012, 01:28:55 pm
I've come back to look at this image several times. I think it's a wonderful shot but the clouds do make me a little uncomfortable: they seem unnaturally bright and somewhat over-saturated.

The're merely my thoughts: I'm prepared to be told (a) that I'm wrong and (b) that (as has been observed on several occasions, here and elsewhere) that over-saturated photographs sell like hot cakes.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: MGH on June 03, 2012, 03:05:07 pm
Hi... Thanks for your comments.
 Jeremy, I don´t know about over-saturated photographs selling like hot cakes I´v never sold a photo it´s just a hobby. Normally I don´t like over-saturated photos but this one I think it´s prity much how I remembered it, it was really an amazing sky that evening and it only got better. Here´s a raw file in ACR with default settings taken a bit later.
 
Mark
Title: Re: Matterhorn Sunset
Post by: francois on June 04, 2012, 03:10:02 am
Hi... Thanks for your comments.
 Jeremy, I don´t know about over-saturated photographs selling like hot cakes I´v never sold a photo it´s just a hobby. Normally I don´t like over-saturated photos but this one I think it´s prity much how I remembered it, it was really an amazing sky that evening and it only got better. Here´s a raw file in ACR with default settings taken a bit later.
 
Mark

Mark,
Actually, I find this one better the the first one. With image #1, I have a problem with the yellow highlights - but it's nitpicking. I don't doubt that the sky must have been "unreal" that evening. Matterhorn is a spectacular and capricious mountain. I spent weeks there without even seeing the mountain…