Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ned on May 29, 2012, 10:46:27 am

Title: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: ned on May 29, 2012, 10:46:27 am
I have been attempting to fix this issue for several days without success. It's been bugging me but does it really matter?

A nozzle check shows one gap on the cyan, something like this:

--------
--------
---- ---  <
--------
--------

I have tried the paper towel/windex solution including waiting over night, multiple head cleans but it remains. Other than bugging me I can't see where it really makes a difference. I printed out several images including a test chart for profiling and I don't see a single gap anywhere.  So, other than it bugging me that I can't fix it, should I just try to ignore it?

Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: howardm on May 29, 2012, 01:07:42 pm
as noted in your other identical thread (dpreview?), I doubt that that would be visible by any normal viewing but if it bugs you, you should get a heavier duty cleaning solution & method.
Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: ned on May 29, 2012, 01:21:41 pm
Looking for a second opinion. I was going to try the syringe through the ink port method but have also read pro's and con's suggesting that it may damage the piezo port on the head.

as noted in your other identical thread (dpreview?), I doubt that that would be visible by any normal viewing but if it bugs you, you should get a heavier duty cleaning solution & method.
Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: Randy Carone on May 29, 2012, 04:02:20 pm
According to an Epson Tech I know well, the syringe method doesn't work. YMMV.
Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: Peter McLennan on May 30, 2012, 12:02:07 am
It's been bugging me but does it really matter?

In my experience with many Epson printers, no.  Just print.  One segment missing like that will have no visible effect on print.

You might make yourself a block of pure cyan and print it a few times to see if it unclogs.
Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: ned on May 30, 2012, 10:54:37 am
I tried printing a block of the affected color and it didn't help. I think I just need to get over it.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Title: Re: Epson 3800 nozzle check missing one line
Post by: Rand47 on May 31, 2012, 12:52:47 am
I tried printing a block of the affected color and it didn't help. I think I just need to get over it.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Ned,

Right on!  Just print and enjoy.  If your solid printed blocks of the affected color look decent, then just print away.  You'll know when / if it gets to be a problem.  On my 3000 I sometimes have small gap in the LLK cart, and came to the same conclusion you have reached.  In fact, I printed the same file on my 4880 w/ the "test print" being perfect, and saw no difference in the prints at all (with matched icc profles for the two printers).  So just have fun.