Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Arlen on May 28, 2012, 09:55:13 pm

Title: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Arlen on May 28, 2012, 09:55:13 pm
I've been a regular reader of, and occasional poster in, these forums for years. But I've never posted an image. Decided I would break the ice with this one.

It may violate a "rule" or two, but I'm not sure if that's for the better or the worse. I would appreciate any comments you may have on how well it "works", suggestions for improvements, or whatever strikes your fancy.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 28, 2012, 10:06:22 pm
Very nice and powerful.

If anything, I would clone out that black dot, whatever it is, in the water, lower left.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: John R on May 28, 2012, 11:07:12 pm
I agree with Slobodan's comments, the image is very powerful and moody and it matters not one iota whether it can be massaged more. Nice work!

JMR
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: wolfnowl on May 29, 2012, 01:44:03 am
It looks like a buoy to me; I'd remove it but I don't think doing so is essential.  Well done.

Mike.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Arlen on May 29, 2012, 02:11:30 am
Thanks for your comments, guys. The black dot is a buoy, and at a larger image size can be distinguished as such. I've considered taking it out, and maybe I will, because it does tend to catch the eye and make one wonder whether it's just some crud. The reason for possibly leaving it in:  when large enough to see as a buoy, to me it represents the exit to the (safe) harbor, beyond which lies a stormy sea. But maybe it's too small to serve that purpose.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 29, 2012, 03:44:03 am
Thanks for your comments, guys. The black dot is a buoy, and at a larger image size can be distinguished as such. I've considered taking it out, and maybe I will, because it does tend to catch the eye and make one wonder whether it's just some crud. The reason for possibly leaving it in:  when large enough to see as a buoy, to me it represents the exit to the (safe) harbor, beyond which lies a stormy sea. But maybe it's too small to serve that purpose.
I think it is, and that your representation is the result of over-imaginative interpretation. I'd remove it.

Nevertheless, with or without buoy it's a cracking shot.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Tony Jay on May 29, 2012, 03:52:15 am
I am with the others - very dynamic shot.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Justan on May 29, 2012, 10:20:41 am
Fabulous capture and a great use of the media. The use of B&W lets the background go black which wouldn’t make sense or be nearly as dramatic, were it in color.

Where was this captured?
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: francois on May 29, 2012, 10:25:34 am
Fabulous capture and a great use of the media. The use of B&W lets the background go black which wouldn’t make sense or be nearly as dramatic, were it in color.

Where was this captured?


Yes, a spectacular image!  Not sure if it's my eyes or brain but it's a color image.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Arlen on May 29, 2012, 03:10:42 pm
I really appreciate all the encouragement.

Justan, the scene is of Puget Sound, taken from the Space Needle. You threw me there for a moment with the black and white comment. I had to do a quick double-take to make sure I didn't post the wrong version. The thumbnail does look like it might be black and white, but while subtle, there really is some color in the bigger image, I promise.  :)

For comparison, here is a black and white conversion (with the bothersome buoy removed). I think I like it in color better, though.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: louoates on May 29, 2012, 04:13:31 pm
I love this image, especially without the buoy. I love the way my eyes wander off into the distance without the buoy interrupting the journey.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: jule on May 30, 2012, 06:07:11 am
I think this is a fantastic image with the way the perspective is and the boat going into the darkness. I'm actually going to stick my neck out here and say I actually like the bouy because it adds a bit of tension in the image and really keeps my eye going backward and forward from the boat and the bouy.I link this  metaphorically to the fact that perhaps there is always something drawing us back/or keeping us from just sailing off into somewhere unknown..etc. I also think with the addition of the bouy it sort of has the ability to pose more questions in the viewers mind - rather than just beaing a beautiful image.

Thank you for posting this amazing image.
Julie
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 30, 2012, 03:18:49 pm
I prefer the colour version but I have a sneaking feeling that the reason might be that your b&w conversion isn't very good. Flipping between the two shows a huge difference in the lines of the sky, which affects the whole impression of the photograph.

It is better without the buoy, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Arlen on May 30, 2012, 04:59:32 pm
Jeremy, that could well be a reason for your preference. I tried several different approaches to the BW conversion, and wasn't 100% happy with any of them. Trying to hold the tonal relationships across the image while preserving the overall impact has turned out to be a challenge that I'm still working on. Everyone's kind comments help confirm that it's worth the effort.
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: francois on May 31, 2012, 06:02:45 am
I agree, the buoy must go. It brings nothing to the image!
Title: Re: Heading into the Storm
Post by: Justan on June 02, 2012, 08:52:25 am

Justan, the scene is of Puget Sound, taken from the Space Needle. You threw me there for a moment with the black and white comment. I had to do a quick double-take to make sure I didn't post the wrong version. The thumbnail does look like it might be black and white, but while subtle, there really is some color in the bigger image, I promise.  :)

For comparison, here is a black and white conversion (with the bothersome buoy removed). I think I like it in color better, though.

Thanks!

Due to your comments i re-did the color calibration on the monitor. Couldn’t believe how far the colors and brightness have shifted in about the last 4 months! After that I was able to see that the image is indeed in color.