Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on May 28, 2012, 01:25:44 pm
-
Hi folks -
Does anyone know how to record from a mini-Hi-Fi set that plays computer-streamed radio, cassettes and CDs, and put all that stuff onto a memory stick?
So far, the info I have is this:
From the Earpiece socket outlet on the Hi-Fi, take a lead to the Mic. socket on the PC. Then, open a software programme and record onto the memory stick following instructions from the programme.
I seem to have the following listed in the machine:
Windows Movie Maker
Real Player
iTunes
Quick Time
Real Player
However, I can't find anything that looks likely, or that I understand. I was told to search for something that looks like PCM but it doesn't show anywhere.
How do you put your music onto memory sticks - if you do?
Rob C
P.S. I used to be able to play my cassettes in the car, but no longer - no such device anymore, just CD and little memory stick connections...
-
How do you put your music onto memory sticks - if you do?
1) You can buy it from iTunes, or Amazon, or the artist, etc ... or some sketchy guy with a server in Moldova
2) You can "rip" (ie "digitize") your own CDs/LPs/Cassettes, etc ... the musical equivalent of scanning a negative/slide
3) You can "borrow" files from your friends ... and most loosely defined, you have LOADS of friends willing to share with you over the internet
-
1) You can buy it from iTunes, or Amazon, or the artist, etc ... or some sketchy guy with a server in Moldova
2) You can "rip" (ie "digitize") your own CDs/LPs/Cassettes, etc ... the musical equivalent of scanning a negative/slide
3) You can "borrow" files from your friends ... and most loosely defined, you have LOADS of friends willing to share with you over the internet
2) is the option, but the technique is missing.
;-(
Rob C
-
This might do it. Writes a stream to an audio file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamripper
-
Do a google search on cassette to USB rip.
You need to connect the analog output of your tape player to the line in if your PC/Mac.
There are software able to create a MP3 file from this stream, some can also cut the stream so as to recreate tracks.
http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/threads/11332-Need-program-to-rip-cassette-tapes-to-MP3
The sound quality might be pretty poor without a dedicated sound card with a more refined line in.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Hello Rob. I take the line out from the stereo to the line in on the computer as Bernard says. Then I use software called Acoustica (http://www.acondigital.com/us_Acoustica1.html) - it's good at removing clicks from records. Audacity is free (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and is supposed to work well too. I start the program and the music, set the levels so there is no clipping, record the music, split it into tracks and save as .wav files for later burning to a cd.
Currently working my way through my cassette tape collection. A lot of stuff is now available on cd, but some things can't be replaced, so it's nice to now have it in digital form.
David
-
Well, I've put 'Audacity' into the system and now have to come out of the corner and try to deal with it! I suspect they expect me to have a degree in sound engineering if only to understand the words!
But I shall persevere!
Thanks - at east there's a place from which to start now!
;-)
Rob C
-
Well, I've put 'Audacity' into the system and now have to come out of the corner and try to deal with it! I suspect they expect me to have a degree in sound engineering if only to understand the words!
Yes, our world seems full of steep learning curves. At least there are a lot of tutorials for Audacity on the web, including quite a few on Youtube.