Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Remo Nonaz on May 19, 2012, 07:23:31 am

Title: Reflections - To Invert or Not to Invert
Post by: Remo Nonaz on May 19, 2012, 07:23:31 am
I took this reflection photo recently and didn't like it right-side-up. So I inverted it, which I think works better. I also added a gradient to the bottom as I get the feeling that I want to see something solid there. I may be able to re-shoot this including a bit of the unreflected portion of the scene.

What do others think about reflected images that do not include the unreflected object. Should they be inverted or left upside down?
Title: Re: Reflections - To Invert or Not to Invert
Post by: sierraman on May 19, 2012, 09:56:43 am
I like both images either way. I tried the same thing here but I didn't like it.
Title: Re: Reflections - To Invert or Not to Invert
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 19, 2012, 12:14:53 pm
Hi Remo,
I was wondering about this too, but suspected that an inversion might be a bit too cute, and annoying. I tested my hypothesis by posting an inverted image (Grassi Lakes), and the number of responses (0) suggests a lack of interest in this approach. Good to know! :)
On the other hand we should make and share the images that we enjoy.
Scott
Title: Re: Reflections - To Invert or Not to Invert
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 19, 2012, 12:55:06 pm
What do others think about reflected images that do not include the unreflected object. Should they be inverted or left upside down?

It depends on the image; there's no general rule. I tend to invert them as otherwise people hurt their necks. I was pleased with this one (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=38574.0), a little while ago.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Reflections - To Invert or Not to Invert
Post by: Isaac on May 19, 2012, 07:56:46 pm
... an inverted image (Grassi Lakes), and the number of responses (0) suggests a lack of interest in this approach.
Careful - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance#Distinguishing_absence_of_evidence_from_evidence_of_absence).