Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: HSakols on May 18, 2012, 10:17:36 am
-
The web is a strange place to really learn about people. After looking through a number of Marks articles I have formed my own impressions of someone who had a successful career in Silicon Valley and has perfectly white shoes. I must say I'm impressed with Mark's new Redneck take on photography. I'm sure when Mark modified his camera he changed into some overalls and did the work in a friend's barn. Watch out Mark! You just got a taste of the good life. I grew up in the heart of Silicon Valley way before the tech boom, but always felt the calling of Yosemite's mountainous landscape. Watch out, from now on Mark's posts may start to get bit scary. Next he may find the pleasure of becoming a Dirtbag. The urban dictionary defines a dirtbag as A person who is committed to a given (usually extreme) lifestyle to the point of abandoning employment and other societal norms in order to pursue said lifestyle. Dirtbags can be distinguished from hippies by the fact that dirtbags have a specific reason for their living communaly and generally non-hygenically; dirtbags are seeking to spend all of their moments pursuing their lifestyle
The best examles of dirtbags and dirtbagging are the communities of climbers that can be found in any of the major climbing areas of North America--Squamish, BC; Yosemite, CA; Joshua Tree, CA; etc.
I can't wait to see you dirtbagging it in Yosemite with you modified Sony NEX7. It should make for a good article. Once again, being the web, I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Stay creative!
-
Great article Mark!
This bit of embarrassment may be the push over the edge that Sony needs to add a "are you sure you want to record video" confirmation option to the NEX7 settings.
-
Was a little disappointed that duct tape was neither mentioned nor used for the fix.
-
True Rednecks don't use duct tape. Much too sophisticated for them. Bailing wire is the binder of choice.
Michael
-
Can't you just pull it off with pliers or a hammer?
-
I've had a NEX-7 for a few months now, and have to say I've not shot any unintended video with it. I'm 6'2" with larger hands and my thumb happily fits in the contoured grip below the video button. Even with using the right-most dial or chucking the camera into my bag I've had no issues.
I have noticed said button has a stiffer, but squishier, less clicky push than the the rest of the buttons on the back side (less binary, more deliberation required). Is my copy subtly different, or am I just an odd duck for not joining in the griping ???
I don't deny the issue (I'd love to have the dial lock include an option for the record button with the Tri-Navi), but have to say it hasn't affected me personally. Ah well.
-
I think this is a beautiful solution and well executed. I've had the problem just a couple of times, but today indeed I lost a shot because of it.
But I have a similar [but far worse] problem with my Garmin Etrex which insists on beeping because it wants to record waypoints while in the bag. Maybe I can use the other half for that.
But being definitely nod-redneck, I'll have to go to the hardware store with the Nex and the Etrex and ask for those pastic things which are called grommets in English but I don't know what they are called in Dutch. I can live with that embarrassement, done it before.
Funny thing is, I seem to have set up Downloader Pro in such a way that it does not download these video files. I'll solve that as, if and when I come up with a real video.
-
The stills/video thing doesn't really bother me. When in playback mode, you just need to hit down on the keypad to bring up multi-shot viewing mode, and then hit left to get to the still/video selection mode. No menu diving required, really. I don't mind having them separate.
The NEX-7 video button is also my most annoying issue with the camera. Hopefully, a firmware fix will come. Here are a couple of more elegant solutions from some guys on dpreview:
user "horst"
(http://g4.img-dpreview.com/945F7EBC4B784CB6A397EDF72E029A75.jpg)
user "Rich Gibson"
(http://richgibson.smugmug.com/Photography/2012-03-06-NEX-7-NEX-5-Bag/i-rjM8fKF/0/O/DSC04599-2.jpg)
-
I wonder if we (on the outside) underestimate the amount of effort required to produce a significant firmware update. The most significant that at least I'm aware of was that for the Canon 5D Mark II for video.
If it is like other software, it may be that fixing a bug is significantly less work than releasing a new feature.
For example, to add a new feature requires updating all of the manuals in whichever languages they are written in. This may have a further impact if printed manuals are made. If a large batch were ordered (say 100,000) to supply the camera for a year's worth of production, then do you introduce a new feature after three months and throw away 50,000+ manuals?
-
True Rednecks don't use duct tape. Much too sophisticated for them. Bailing wire is the binder of choice.
Michael
Nice to know then that I'm a step above. I don't have any bailing wire but couldn't survive without duct tape.
-
I wonder if we (on the outside) underestimate the amount of effort required to produce a significant firmware update. The most significant that at least I'm aware of was that for the Canon 5D Mark II for video.
If it is like other software, it may be that fixing a bug is significantly less work than releasing a new feature.
For example, to add a new feature requires updating all of the manuals in whichever languages they are written in. This may have a further impact if printed manuals are made. If a large batch were ordered (say 100,000) to supply the camera for a year's worth of production, then do you introduce a new feature after three months and throw away 50,000+ manuals?
NEX cameras have been known to have tons of features added with firmware upgrades: focus peaking, creative modes, etc. Adding a feature that requires you to hold the movie button for a few seconds to activate it wouldn't be a big deal.
-
The stills/video thing doesn't really bother me. When in playback mode, you just need to hit down on the keypad to bring up multi-shot viewing mode, and then hit left to get to the still/video selection mode. No menu diving required, really. I don't mind having them separate.
Thanks for the tip. I for one hadn't realised that this relatively simple access to the stills/video election was possible.
My main gripe is that Sony have crippled what is essentially an enthusiasts' camera in the HDR/Bracketing department. Even the latest F3 and SLT A37 only has bracketing up to 0.7 of a stop either way. This has been criticised ad nauseam on every forum I've seen. As far as I can see, of recent Sony cameras, only the A 77 has a decent auto bracketing function. Yes I know the cameras have auto-HDR which isn't bad but certainly not suitable for all occasions.
Just as bad is the fact that if one resorts to auto-HDR in low light situations and want to bang the camera on a tripod, then the flaming remote release won't work and one has to use the normal shutter button which kind of defeats the purpose of a tripod. It can work much of the time but, hell's bells, this is an enthusiast camera. One is left with the impression that Sony designers have no experience of actual photography and what photographers actually want.
I'm not going to hold my breath any longer waiting for an update for any of the problems. Sony obviously isn't listening and I'm running out of air :)
The Nex 7 still suits me and i've no intention of changing - but it's frustrating.
John
-
Thanks for the tip. I for one hadn't realised that this relatively simple access to the stills/video election was possible.
My main gripe is that Sony have crippled what is essentially an enthusiasts' camera in the HDR/Bracketing department. Even the latest F3 and SLT A37 only has bracketing up to 0.7 of a stop either way. This has been criticised ad nauseam on every forum I've seen. As far as I can see, of recent Sony cameras, only the A 77 has a decent auto bracketing function. Yes I know the cameras have auto-HDR which isn't bad but certainly not suitable for all occasions.
Just as bad is the fact that if one resorts to auto-HDR in low light situations and want to bang the camera on a tripod, then the flaming remote release won't work and one has to use the normal shutter button which kind of defeats the purpose of a tripod. It can work much of the time but, hell's bells, this is an enthusiast camera. One is left with the impression that Sony designers have no experience of actual photography and what photographers actually want.
I'm not going to hold my breath any longer waiting for an update for any of the problems. Sony obviously isn't listening and I'm running out of air :)
The Nex 7 still suits me and i've no intention of changing - but it's frustrating.
John
I don't personally have a use for this, but this is a strange omission for a 7 series Sony camera. The good news is, Sony made the same mistake with the A700 when it was new, and, after many complaints, they upgraded the firmware to allow +/- 3 EV, so there is hope.
-
I've had a NEX-7 for a few months now, and have to say I've not shot any unintended video with it. I'm 6'2" with larger hands and my thumb happily fits in the contoured grip below the video button. Even with using the right-most dial or chucking the camera into my bag I've had no issues.
I'm in this boat, also. I have small hands. When I pick up the NEX-7 my thumb goes directly to where Sony intended it to go. If you have this problem get inventive and create something like demonstrated in this thread. Frankly, if my camera had what Mark put on his I'd probably knock it off putting it in the bag. Mountain out of a molehill in my case.
-
Am I the only one wishing ALL cameras to have a menu item: "Disable video"? Let alone each such a camera to have a retail counterpart without video (not unlike D800 in two versions)?
-
Speaking of the new Nikons, they handle video mode quite intelligently for a DSLR. There are seperate Live View for stills and video modes on a lever setting, and the dedicated video button only works when video mode is engaged.
For anyone not interested in video the whole thing can be ignored, while for those that are activation is easy without happening accidentally.
Michael
-
Speaking of the new Nikons, they handle video mode quite intelligently for a DSLR. There are seperately Live View for stills and video modes on a lever setting, and the dedicated video button only works when video mode is engaged.
For anyone not interested in video the whole thing can be ignored, while for those that are activation is easy without happening accidentally.
Michael
That sounds like a good way to do it.
-
Olympus (on my E-PL1) placed the video button in the same annoying place on the thumbrest, but at least theirs is programmable. I set mine to switch between default focus mode and MF. That is actually useful and isn't a big deal when pressed accidentally. Why Sony didn't make it programmable, I don't know, but if they did it properly they wouldn't be Sony, I guess.
-
The best thing to do is replace the SONY switch with my 30D's shutter button which seems to stop working every few months.
-
Why Sony didn't make it programmable, I don't know, but if they did it properly they wouldn't be Sony, I guess.
LOL. ;D
-
Robert, you're right about the Etrex! Recently I was on my way (walking) to Tigh nam Bodach in upper Glen Lyon (Scotland)
and wanting to record the postion of this ancient structure with its stone "family" I pulled out the Etrex - flat! Same problem as the Nex7,
far too easily turned on by adjacent objects, but this grommet idea looks like a winner.
-
Rubber O rings also work well for this type of application. They are smaller in overall diameter. If you find one with an inside diameter slightly smaller than the OD of the knob, you should be able to "roll" it over the knob and have it stay put without using adhesive. This would make it easier to remove and reinstall if you should want to use the button.
-
True Rednecks don't use duct tape. Much too sophisticated for them. Bailing wire is the binder of choice.
Michael
Being a native of Mississippi, I feel compelled to inform you that there are two breeds of rednecks. The original redneck would indeed use only bailing wire. But, a hi-tech redneck does use copious quantities of "Duck Tape". Plus, the only rednecks that call it "duct tape" are the ones "dat have dun had sum schoolin' ".
-
I reckon a man could pull out a pinch of his chaw and mush it on there to stop it from being pushed by accident. Then agin', real men don't use Sony.
-
A bead of clear silicone or Goop would also work. I've hit the video button on the A55 a few times by mistake. Its a bit more out of the way being right beside the viewfinder, still it can happen when trying to adjust the ev button to it's right. I really don't like these buttons particularly due to the firmness which moves the camera with the pressing, making the first second junk. It really needs to be some other way which should be easy for the company with the double hinged A900 mirror, the micro-camera live view, and many other innovations.
How's about a simple hold it down, press the shutter release to start filming? 2 button action.
-
Am I the only one wishing ALL cameras to have a menu item: "Disable video"? Let alone each such a camera to have a retail counterpart without video (not unlike D800 in two versions)?
No.
Jeremy
-
My main gripe is that Sony have crippled what is essentially an enthusiasts' camera ... this is an enthusiast camera. One is left with the impression that Sony designers have no experience of actual photography and what photographers actually want.
I assume that someone in Sony at least knows how many of their various camera models are sold (and what lenses are sold, and ...) - which is more than I know, and I guess more than you know.
Sony might actually have a better understanding of who's buying their cameras; maybe.
... only has bracketing up to 0.7 of a stop either way. ... Yes I know the cameras have auto-HDR which isn't bad but certainly not suitable for all occasions.
I think the limited bracketing only becomes a problem because auto HDR and multi-shot NR are not available for RAW (because we used camera clipping indicators to check that the highlights weren't blown, and we'll use LR for small exposure changes).
Just as bad is the fact that if one resorts to auto-HDR in low light situations and want to bang the camera on a tripod, then the flaming remote release won't work and one has to use the normal shutter button which kind of defeats the purpose of a tripod.
With the SLT-A35 (and I suspect NEX 7) the problem is that the self-timer functions have been placed in the "Drive Mode" menu, in such a way that setting a self-timer prevents setting bracketing or continuous shooting or auto HDR or multi-shot NR. Basically the cameras need a separate "Timer mode" (as previously seen in the Sony W300 P&S.)
I'm not going to hold my breath any longer waiting for an update for any of the problems. Sony obviously isn't listening...
Strange you say that Sony isn't listening after you mentioned the announcement of SLT-A37.
That means the SLT-A35 has been replaced by an updated camera after less than a year!
I wasn't the only person who told them that I wanted a movable LCD and a digital level gauge (but maybe we should wait to see if that does appear in the camera).
Maybe Sony was listening. Maybe their response is to make incremental improvements and release new SLT cameras each year, in the same way that they previously released improved P&S cameras each year.
-
All of the issues Mark raised are true in spades as well for the NEX 5N - in fact worse in terms of the movie button because there is no room to build anything around it, and no obviously good way of covering it as shown practical for the NEX-7 several posts back. The problem is even made worse because the movie button is a couple of millimeters South-East of the power switch, so if you turn on the camera to make a still shot and nothing happens, well by now I know its because I inadvertently started making a movie by turning on the camera with my thumb slipping a wee bit South-East. Stopping the movie is another matter, because on pressing the movie button again, a message comes up that says "recording" - but it does stop the movie even though it tells you the reverse. This is just a mess and the more worrisome aspect of it is the stubbornness of Sony to not correct it. Too bad, because apart from that this is a technically superb imaging system and otherwise a joy to use. Deleting these accidental movies is not that big a deal with the 5N's menu structure. The sequence is Menu>Playback>View>ACHD>Delete, then when finished deleting the accidental movies one selects STILL in the same View mode and the review function is restored to stills. It isn't hard to memorize this sequence and once memorized it goest fast, because thanks to Sony design one gets lots of practice. :-)
-
is there a name for the gizmo that swings down to cover the video button or was it made from a piece of hardward?
-
I have a friend who was formerly the director of a great big huge outdoor retailer's video production department. He's bought a LOT of Sony gear over the years. He says that if Sony made a pickup truck, he'd buy one.
-
With the SLT-A35 (and I suspect NEX 7) the problem is that the self-timer functions have been placed in the "Drive Mode" menu, in such a way that setting a self-timer prevents setting bracketing or continuous shooting or auto HDR or multi-shot NR. Basically the cameras need a separate "Timer mode" (as previously seen in the Sony W300 P&S.)
Ive always used a remote/ release cable with whatever drive mode I want. That is all the way back to the A100. If you want to use the 2 second timer with the 3 shot bracket it wont work. If you use a real cable release or a remote commander it works fine.
-
If you want to use the 2 second timer with the 3 shot bracket it wont work.
Yes, that's what I wrote ;-)
(It doesn't have to be limited like that.)
If you use a real cable release or a remote commander it works fine.
Yes, and now I have to carry something else around everywhere.
What a pity a cable release is not provided with the camera, and Sony price theirs with 5m cable at $70 (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=RML1AM) rather than providing something that works (http://vellogear.com/detail?sku=749977) for $10.
-
Ive used this for years
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536955-REG/Seculine_R3_TRS_Seculine_Twin_1_R3_TRS.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536955-REG/Seculine_R3_TRS_Seculine_Twin_1_R3_TRS.html)
The plastic around the swivelling base cracked. Its still working fine.