Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: figure1a on May 15, 2012, 08:28:47 pm

Title: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on May 15, 2012, 08:28:47 pm
Has anyone seen this? It looks like the best tethered option for shooting on location with your laptop:

http://kck.st/Jn8ZUD
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: buckshot on May 15, 2012, 11:51:18 pm
Not sure I like the way the laptop is held down - makes the whole thing unnecessarily wider and looks kind of clunky in practice. Hopefully the screws are captive - trying to fiddle around with them in an emergency wouldn't be much fun if they weren't.

For studio work, a Tallyn's laptop deck (http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?ic=9120-01-TAL&eq=&Tp=) is hard to beat.

For outdoors use I've toyed with the idea of getting a 3/8" hole drilled and tapped directly in the chassis of my MBP, so I could attach a RRS plate. Failing that I could just epoxy it on, and then attach it to a ball head or whatever using a standard clamp - sure would save a lot of weight compared to the hunk of metal shown in the video.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: henrikfoto on May 16, 2012, 02:57:23 am
Has anyone seen this? It looks like the best tethered option for shooting on location with your laptop:

http://kck.st/Jn8ZUD




Seems like this plate is not for sale yet?
Or does anyone know where to buy?

Henrik
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on May 16, 2012, 11:25:28 pm



Seems like this plate is not for sale yet?
Or does anyone know where to buy?

Henrik

Looks like you can only preorder it through the Kickstarter.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on May 31, 2012, 11:32:27 pm
Looking at all the options, the DigiPlate seems like the most robust and expandable. Now they have a tripod bracket which lets you mount your computer to your tripod leg.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: c.james on June 03, 2012, 09:46:06 pm
I think the Digiplate looks like a great solution. I was thinking of getting a tether tools table or even a Rock-N-Roller cart but the Digiplate on a Magic arm has convinced me otherwise. I am definitely supporting their kickstarter and hope they meet their goal!
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: Pingang on June 05, 2012, 08:24:24 am
May be we need a camera to talk to iPad natively.
I have used a man-held laptop for a few times for location work, not the best but very useful, but an iPad is really all I need and I can just save all to CF cards without the wires.  The last time I shoot for a golf catalogue is 1/2 day in the rain, not very convenient.

Pingang
Shanghai
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on June 06, 2012, 01:24:09 am
You can see images on an iPad with Capture One. I know that's not the same as going straight into the iPad but it works pretty good.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: Hans_de_Kort on June 07, 2012, 02:02:20 pm
I prefer the iworkcase (http://www.iworkcase.com/)
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on June 07, 2012, 02:52:59 pm
I haven't seen that. Is there anything that keeps the computer from falling out the case if it gets bumped or someone trips over a cord? That's a big concern for me.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: Hans_de_Kort on June 08, 2012, 12:43:59 am
If you use it with a heavy tripod it won't fall, as strong as your camera on a tripod.
Title: Re: DigiPlate for tethered laptop shooting
Post by: figure1a on June 12, 2012, 02:06:02 am
I'm more worried about the computer falling or getting knocked from the case. The DigiPlate clamps the computer to the plate so that won't happen.