Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Peter Mellis on May 09, 2012, 10:02:13 am
-
I have a 3+ year old Epson 3800 that has run without any clogging issues. I always print on matte papers and have not (since a test when I got the machine) printed using the PK ink; I know that the machine does a periodic switchover when one or the other black hasn't been used for a while but really can't remember seeing this happen more than once. I am about to do some printing that will require using the PK black and am wondering if I should take the cartridge out and shake it a bit, or should I leave it alone. My assumption is that this is probably a coin flip, but was wondering if I'm missing anything.
-
I would give it some gentle shaking and then do a nozzle check. Wastes a little more ink, but better that than ruining a whole print.
On the other hand, I've been pprinting only PK in my 3800 for several months and just had to do some MK recently. I just switched and it printed fine on the very first print. So, as you say, it's probably a coin flip.
Eric
-
i don't shake brake fluid or ink cartridges for the same reason: air bubbles
-
i don't shake brake fluid or ink cartridges for the same reason: air bubbles
If you shake, do it gently. Air bubbles will certainly mess things up big time. But I've never had air bubbles.
I also often drive my car over bumps or potholes, which surely does agitate the brake fluid some. But again: gently.
-
The ink inside the 3800 cartridge is inside a foil pouch which collapses as the ink is drawn out, so there should be little if any air to mix into the ink. That said, I would avoid vigorous shaking.
-
I know that the machine does a periodic switchover when one or the other black hasn't been used for a while but really can't remember seeing this happen more than once.
Interesting. You have a source for this? I've never seen or heard of a auto maintenance switch like this. I know the printer will automatically switch based on the media choice but I don't think it does it arbitrarily switches as you describe.
Personally I would install a new PK ink if it was over 3 years old.
-
Better suggestion: Don't remove any carts, place a wide belt under the printer ~5 inch in. Lift the belt and thus the front of printer several inches up and down slowly. The ink in the Epson 'bag' will be stirred gently, for 3rd party carts ditto--no bubbles, no ink stains and no mess.
I agree, not aware of any Epson 38xx protocol requiring any interval swapping of MK & PK ink carts.
Definitely do a nozzle check before a print session, uses very very little ink--a great warning indicator.
irvweiner
-
According to Epson, the 3800 monitors ink changes (i.e., the 3800 remembers when you swap PK and MK inks), and if a swap isn't done within 6 months, the 3800 automatically performs a swap to keep the ink flowing properly.
This quote is from Eric Chan's Epson 3800 resources (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#never_ink_swap) website
-
Personally I would install a new PK ink if it was over 3 years old.
I'm in total agreement with Wayne on this. I've tried to "make-do" in the past (another way of saying I'm cheap) and was only met with disaster and problems. It's cheaper in the long run just to replace the cartridge than waste media and time.
Don
-
This quote is from Eric Chan's Epson 3800 resources (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#never_ink_swap) website
Interesting. I've never used MK in my 3800 and haven't ever seen it initiate a swap, but Eric doesn't make stuff up, so I would suspect it to be true.
Regardless, 3 year old ink running through those tiny nozzles just doesn't sound like a good idea.
-
Point taken. As I said, I've not had any clogging problems and don't want to start. I'll pick up a cartridge tomorrow.
-
you get a little exercise this way, too. ;)
-
If you’re gonna replace the cartridge anyway, try an experiment and give the old one a good shake. After that give it a day to let any bubbles escape and give it a try.
What’s the harm?
-
Well, the harm could be gunk clogging up the nozzles. Not worth it.
-
There is no need to vigorously shake these cartridges! You risk damaging the inner bag and creating a froth inside it.
I've bought ink that was pushing 3 year expired, but still in the vacuum seal bag, and used them without issue.
Just note that the older the cartridge is, the longer you need to gently rock them back and forth. Also note: taking cartridges out of the 4000/x800 series printers to shake risks introducing air bubbles at the intake (I learned the hard way!). Better to just rock the printer back and forth if you are concerned.
Just my .02 worth.
-
Well, the harm could be gunk clogging up the nozzles. Not worth it.
Possibly, but what gunk could there be inside an ink cartridge?
-
the gunk is the pigments that settle out, and I think MK is the most problematic.
Hey, I don't care. I can't say for a fact that it would be problematic or not, but I do have some experience with a lot of printers and it does seem that those with old ink seem to clog up a lot more often. I had an 11880 that was running really well, then suddenly after about 2 years seems to clog every time I turned it on. The inks were from when it was new. I finally resorted to replacing all of them and suddenly no more clogs again.
So replacing one cartridge that old might be cheaper in the long wrong.
just sayin ...
-
Ink carts have a hard existence from the manufacturer to the vendor, and from the vendor to the printer. It’s possible but illogical that they would become fragile once put in service.
Both the cart and contents are designed to tolerate being shaken. At worse (unless someone is throwing the cart against a wall or something), some air gets mixed in. Let it stand for a while and any bubbles will dissipate. Plus, with every cart I’ve seen, the ink is drawn from near the bottom, so air isn’t likely to be there long in any event.
As you pointed out with a clogging printer, at worse one can replace the cart and the problem will resolve itself, so no real risk.
Not tryin’ to squabble, just pointing out what may not be apparent.