Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: donkittle on May 09, 2012, 09:10:05 am

Title: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: donkittle on May 09, 2012, 09:10:05 am
I got out Saturday evening at moonrise to shoot the 'super moon' along with a few dozen other photographers.  I thought I'd drag the bazooka out (my 600mm) and go for some detail shots.  So, I went out to Humber Bay and stood on the bridge and waited for the moon to rise above some clouds on the horizon.  Moon with clouds in front - check.  Boring full moon shot with nothing in front - check.  Then I noticed a lone gull fly in front of the moon and fired a few shots.  Ok, at f8 and 840mm (with a teleconverter), the thing was basically a ghost, but I thought the idea was cool.  So, I dialled up to f11 started to wait and watch and hope that a few birds a lot further out on the lake would fly by.  There, it looked like three of them flew into frame...  Rat-ta-tat and I quickly hit review...  It wasn't 2 or 3, it was more like a dozen!

(http://kittle.ca/Posted/Supermoon2012/moonbirds.jpg)

Cheers, Don
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: Justan on May 09, 2012, 11:12:03 am
Delightful!
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 09, 2012, 12:11:04 pm
Delightful!
+1.
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: francois on May 09, 2012, 12:28:41 pm
Stunning image…
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: Tony Jay on May 09, 2012, 07:35:08 pm
Serendipidity expressed.
Wonderful image.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: wolfnowl on May 10, 2012, 01:42:35 am
Worth the wait, it would seem...  ;D

Mike.
Title: Re: Birds Silhouetted against SuperMoon
Post by: Dewi Sant on May 10, 2012, 04:39:55 am
Nice that, well done.

Dewi