Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: garyfcampbell on May 07, 2012, 07:15:53 pm

Title: Sony Nex-7 wireless flash commander?
Post by: garyfcampbell on May 07, 2012, 07:15:53 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to get an off camera wireless flash to work with the Nex-7.  I bought a Sony HVL-F58AM flash for the wireless flash.  But it appears that the built in flash can not be a wireless commander.

This is from page 75 of the Nex-7 manual, "You cannot use the wireless flash with the built-in flash. You must prepare a lighting ratio control flash
(sold separately) and a wireless flash (sold separately)."

Other than buying another flash to be the commander, what do they mean by a "lighting ratio control flash(sold separately)"?

What would be a good wireless commander for a Sony Nex-7 used with a wireless Sony HVL-F58AM flash?

thanks
Gary Campbell
Title: Re: Sony Nex-7 wireless flash commander?
Post by: Fine_Art on May 07, 2012, 08:21:53 pm
Ratio refers to different brightness settings. You can adjust some flashes to a fraction of 100% intensity. 1/2, 1/3 etc. My Minolta flash does this. On Sony crop cameras is it too bright not understanding the 35mm ADI distance information is off by 1.5x. I dial it down so it works with the camera metering.

I can't help with the nex system, i dont have it.
Title: Re: Sony Nex-7 wireless flash commander?
Post by: douglasf13 on May 07, 2012, 10:07:49 pm
You might consider one of these:  http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=158 (http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=158)
Title: Re: Sony Nex-7 wireless flash commander?
Post by: garyfcampbell on May 08, 2012, 01:53:06 pm
Thanks I'll look into the Pixel King transmitter/receiver for Sony.

Gary