Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dwnelson on May 01, 2012, 07:34:35 pm

Title: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: dwnelson on May 01, 2012, 07:34:35 pm
Hey all,

Lucky me has secured a rental D800E, and I'll be taking it to Yosemite Valley for this weekend's moonbow extravaganza. I'm also renting a Zeiss 21/2.8, 25/2 and the Nikon 24/1.4G, and I'll also bring my 14-24/2.8G and Zeiss 35/2, Zeiss 50/2 and Zeiss 100/2.

I should be able to get some great night shots with the D800E and these lenses under a full moon. Can't wait to see how they turn out! The night shots will be up to ISO 1600 (and 3200 if I really need it).

Last year I rented a D700 and got the attached night shot with my 14-24, now printed 20x28 in my office.

Dan
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: Ellis Vener on May 01, 2012, 08:14:07 pm
I'm sure you have already thought of this but make sure you use the camera's AF micro-adjustment feature for your AF lenses
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: dwnelson on May 02, 2012, 10:24:47 am
Good advice... I'm gonna stick with contrast detection AF in Live View to be safe. For the night shots, I'll prefocus during the day.

I don't have a web site, but I'll try to post some comments on these lenses with the D800E.
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: subrata1965 on May 02, 2012, 12:46:40 pm
Moonbow may not be that spectacular this weekend and weather seems to cooler, hence less mist.

Despite that, I will be there too!

Subrata
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: Ellis Vener on May 02, 2012, 01:27:56 pm
With the size of the full moon this weekend (Friday or Saturday night? either way it will be the largest apparent Full moon  diameter of the year) you should consider taking  a longer lens as well. Something in the 300-600mm range, maybe the 200-400mm f/4G with a teleconverter.
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: sierraman on May 02, 2012, 04:41:55 pm
I will be there as well. Here is one from the past.
Title: Re: Upcoming Yosemite trip: D800E plus some sweet glass
Post by: dwnelson on May 02, 2012, 10:22:25 pm
I'm afraid you're right, the cooler temps will reduce the water flow and hence, the spray. Better for lower Yosemite Fall though... last year I got drenched and I had to keep drying off my lenses.

FYI, Michael Frye has a recent blog post on this weekend's moonbow conditions.

Holler if you see a guy with a RRS tripod and a D800E.