Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Tony Jay on April 28, 2012, 07:38:30 pm

Title: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Tony Jay on April 28, 2012, 07:38:30 pm
I print with an Epson Pro 7900.
Currently printing with Canson Baryta Photographique using canned profiles from Canson, as a smei-gloss surface, with excellent results.

I am looking to start experimenting with a matte paper as well as canvas.
Initially I would like to use canned profiles.
So, if possible recommend paper and canvas types with good canned profiles.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on April 28, 2012, 08:18:01 pm
You might try Canson Rag Photographique which is quite nice or Hahnemuhle Photorag Ultra Smooth.  Both companies seem to do a pretty decent job on preparing profiles for their papers.  I routinely do my own profiling as I can squeeze a little more out of each paper.  That being said, I enjoy printing on both of these matte papers.

Alan
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Peter Le on April 28, 2012, 11:00:18 pm
ckeckout Breathingcolor.........best canvas I have used yet.....and they make some nice matte papers also. They made me a profile for my printer for free and it works very well..........I didn't like their canned one.....
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Tony Jay on April 29, 2012, 03:50:26 am
Thanks for the advice.

I will check these out

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Tony Jay on May 05, 2012, 07:02:37 am
Started to print with the Canson Rag Photographique.
Very nice!

Thank you alan Goldhammer for your advice.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: David Sutton on May 05, 2012, 06:38:30 pm
Tony when you get time you might like to try Moab Somerset Museum Rag
http://moabpaper.com/somerset-museum-rag/
It's a truly beautiful dead smooth oba-free cotton paper and lovely just to hold in the hand, but be warned it shows up the smallest detail. I think Andy Biggs did the profiles, certainly the one for my Canon printer works very well.
David
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: neile on May 05, 2012, 07:02:40 pm
I'll second the Moab Somerset Museum Rag. Here's my review: http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/07/08/moab-somerset-museum-rag-paper-review.html.

For canvas I used to use BC Lyve, but find that the Lexjet Sunset Select Canvas works just fine and costs less (although full disclosure I'm not much of a canvas printer).

Nel
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Tony Jay on May 05, 2012, 07:11:51 pm
Thank you for the suggestions and the links - I will follow them up.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: eleanorbrown on May 06, 2012, 09:51:01 am
Hahnemuhle Bamboo is a must try...can't describe...must be seen and felt ...it is just wonderful...it is so gorgeous I hate to put plexi over it! Eleanor
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Damir on May 06, 2012, 04:31:28 pm
I agree, Bamboo is something special - but be aware at the end of the roll paper is connected to core by tape which at the end left inside my printer!
Title: Re: Recommendations for matte paper and canvas
Post by: Tony Jay on May 06, 2012, 06:53:34 pm
Thanks again.

All suggestions are under consideration.

Regards

Tony Jay